XtrkCAD: Now I'm a Believer!

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Finally stopped procrastinating and installed XtrkCAD on my 'putor this weekend. I'm really amazed at how easy it was to learn! Simple yet powerful (I never really needed that 3D stuff of AbraCAData and 3Planit anyhow)

I'm guessing that, since it's now public domain freeware, alot more people will be using it. What I really like is that now I'll be able to share editable track plans back-and-forth online - something I never really could do with my earlier tool because nobody else was using it.

'Honk' if you are a XtrkCAD user! :D

Man, I sure want to make the switch and after playing with XtrkCad awhile, I can easily see why you guys use it. I would like to make the change, but I can't seem to find the courage to redraw my entire layout from scratch.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid for 3rd PainIt and stuck with almost a year. Went back to XtraCAD just to make a small change on a layout for a net friend. I'd forgotten how easy it was. Haven't used 3rd PainIt since.

Rex, you'll save more time and frustration if you just bite the bullet.

You are probably very right, Chip. My drawings in 3dPlanit need work anyway. With all the revisions and revisions to revisons, things have gotten a bit messy.:eek:

Just watch out, eventually you're going to end up with plans of grandeur that'll make you walk away, when you realize you have a layout planned for the full size of your whole house.

Just watch out, eventually you're going to end up with plans of grandeur that'll make you walk away, when you realize you have a layout planned for the full size of your whole house.

Josh;

I'm surprised at you!:eek: Don't you remember the 2nd Law of Model Railroading!:confused:

A layout will expand to fill all available space!

BTW, the 1st law is to have fun!

:D

Josh;

I'm surprised at you!:eek: Don't you remember the 2nd Law of Model Railroading!:confused:

A layout will expand to fill all available space!

BTW, the 1st law is to have fun!

:D
I thought it was the the room will expand to layout size?

Reminds me, I need to look at my XtrakCAD drawings and figure out how much lumber I need to order for the next section.....

I thought it was the the room will expand to layout size?

Josh;

Thats not really a law, coz most times, something, (like Herself) is in the way.

Besides, the room can't expand, without great, great effort, blood, sweat tears, and esp. lots and lots of money that can be used to buy trains.

However that said, the law has been confirmed. Just look at how Rex's layout has grown from just 1/2 the garage to the whole thing, plus some!!!!:D:D

(Now if I can convince him to enclose the attached carport to the garage, we might really have something!!! Giving his best Snidely Whiplash laugh!)

Carey, what do you think about me going to the outer wall of the garage and setup an interchange with a "Great" scale. Then I would have the whole yard. Can Xtrkcad handle the two scales in one drawing....JUST KIDDING! of course I am, of course I am...:D

Go for it!
I don't know about two scales on one drawing. But you could always just load the LGB files and draw it, then print & tape the two plans together!.

Back