XtrkCAD Layout Software-Where's the Manual?

txstars15

Posts I have seen here describe this software as the best one to use to create a new layout. I have been fooling with it for several days but really getting nowhere fast, as I have no idea how it should best be used.

A hobbysit at the LHS yesterday said there was a downloadeable manual available and that without reading that first, the program would be very frustrating to use. I have looked everywhere within xtrk but cannot see a manual download button. Can anyone shed any light on this? How the heck does one get started creating alayout with this program??!!

The manual that was provided with the original bought version is simply a printout of the Help File. The best way to learn it is to play with it....seriously! leave the tutorials till later. and when you feel ready for a REALLY good set of tutorials go here
http://layoutparty.disisus.com/index.php?action=search2
and type "tutorials" (without the quotes) into the search box. Note that they are NOT listed in the correct order and they should be done starting with Tutorial 1, as they build on each other - Roger has done a fine job with these
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortliner, thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I am not getting my activation email, and I can't seem to do anything on that site unless I am logged in. The link from sushob did not help me much.

CAD in general has a steep learning curve. Thankfully for the railroad cad programs, they have greatly lessened the grade of this curve.
I grew up and learned real CAD, and I only use it. I have tried my hand at the others, but while they are nice and fit their nitche, I have just stuck with real CAD because I know it well and can do more with it.

But just be prepared because its a tough learn.....

Back