Wyoming Division Model Railroad - Video

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I had an opportunity to operate on the Wyoming Division Model Railroad in Cornville, AZ last month. While operating my assignments I was able to capture video of this huge railroad. 35 scale miles of mainline.

Last edited:
35 scale mailes of track ???? Holy crap !!!! Looking the the video from the upper level, you could feel like a rat in a maze, Just have to follow your train to find the way out. Liked the video. Thanks for posting.

Takes about an hour to walk with the train from one end to the other. A few yards to go through on the way. Well trained yard masters. Amazing scenery.

You can get a twofer operating there. The enjoyment of running trains and plenty of exercise.

Our club layout is in three different rooms in the basement of the old NP depot and you sure can get a workout running there. A cake walk compared to that layout.

The owner of the Wyoming Division MRR had the building built specifically for this layout. Google the Wyoming Division and read about the construction of this great layout. Well laid out with good human traffic plan so operators can pass each other in the isles with ease while working their trains.
He started construction on this about the same time I started building the current D&J Railroad in 2011.

Found the web sire Ken. Lotsa photos. Thanks for the link. It does look like there isn't much of a problem for people to pass while operating. Will have to keep an eye on the site to see how the scenery comes along.

Nice! However, it would have been wonderful if there was not people noise!!

Actually, he hired 6 guys to work full time building it back in 2011, then scaled that back to the existing 2 employees who are still working there now. Verrel is a retired aeronautics engineer, born and raised in Wyoming. He wanted to remember his youth when he could watch the UP haul coal across Wyoming in the mid 1950s.

Yes, that sure looks like the Cheyenne Wyoming area. The scenery (where complete) is very nicely done and does look like the U.P. in the South Eastern portion of Wyoming. In one of the parts of the video where the three steamers are the head end of a train, it looks like the 4-12-2 articulates. Is that a real aspect of how 4-12-2s could operate? Very interesting Video , thanks for sharing! I love everything about Wyoming, spent quite a bit of time there.

The 4-12-2 prototype was a non-articulated frame and was short lived in it's service due to the excessive wear on the rails it caused. MTH offered the model in an articulated version that could also be fixed to a full rigid frame. I don't think there are two many model empires that could run the J9000 in it's full rigid frame mode. It would have problems when running full rigid on my empire with minimum 48" radius curves.

Back