WS Paving Tape Question

PMW

I'm thinking about picking some up tomorrow and begin work on another little scene.

I use Peco code 83 track. In this scene it is glued directly to the foam, no roadbed. Does anyone know how the height of the paving tape matches up with the top of the rails? A bit lower would of course be better than a bit higher. If it does not match up well...any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

I'm thinking about picking some up tomorrow and begin work on another little scene.

I use Peco code 83 track. In this scene it is glued directly to the foam, no roadbed. Does anyone know how the height of the paving tape matches up with the top of the rails? A bit lower would of course be better than a bit higher. If it does not match up well...any ideas?

Thanks
Paul
What scale are you modeling? I’m not familiar with code 83 so I’m not sure if it’s available in N scale but for HO scale it should sit below the rails slightly I believe. It’s easy to layer it upon itself too if needed and can be sanded down along with the road as you smooth it out.

What scale are you modeling? I’m not familiar with code 83 so I’m not sure if it’s available in N scale but for HO scale it should sit below the rails slightly I believe. It’s easy to layer it upon itself too if needed and can be sanded down along with the road as you smooth it out.

Thanks for the reply. I model in HO. I'm just wondering if the tape is more for code 100 and therefore too high for 83. Or maybe it's perfect for 83 making it usable for 100? Didn't know you could sand the tape down...that'll work it it comes to it.

Thanks for the reply. I model in HO. I'm just wondering if the tape is more for code 100 and therefore too high for 83. Or maybe it's perfect for 83 making it usable for 100? Didn't know you could sand the tape down...that'll work it it comes to it.
I’m looking at the package I have of the tape right now and it says that the tape is 1/16” high which is .0625”. Code 83 is .083” in height so the tape should be slightly lower than the rail height. However, I’m not sure if that measurement includes the height of the ties also.

I’m not sure if the tape was originally intended to be sanded down but I have sanded it while working on my layout and have had no problems.

It's right on the package you say? Maybe I should have read the package the last time I was at the store :)

I believe code 83 refers to the height of the top of the rail from the top of the tie. Not sure how high the ties on the Peco track are? Hopefully I can pick some up tomorrow.

I was going to start a scene in which several inches of track would be covered with the smooth it but maybe I'll do another....a parking lot which the tracks don't go through. We'll see. With any luck I will post in my "A Beginner's Layout" thread over in "Layout Design and Construction"

Paul

I would have forgotten to read the important numbers too haha.

If the height is just the rail than it will probably be two layers of the tape which will still allow it to sit below the overall height of the track. Don't quote me on it though.

I'm sure either one will look great! Looking forward to checking out your progress:)

Back