Wreking all over ?

julienjj

Noodle is good
I currently have a 4x8 with a double oval loop, no ballast or scenery installed yet. I am given the opportunity to change the layout emplacement because we will bring down a wall in the workshop in the basement, wich would give me access to a corner and a maximum usable space of 8'(west wall)x9'(north wall) i was thinking of a small shelf in a L shape. Is it work it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Julien, this is strictly your call. If you were to provide us with some details of the configuration, say a diagramme, and if you were to tell us what your new layout must have in the way of track elements, industries, and so on, then we could help to steer you away from some obvious and common errors or limitations. But you must decide these things, state them publicly, and then post some ideas for us to consider and alter as seems right to do.

It may be that a shelf in an L is the best solution for you, but maybe the information you post will lean more towards a folded dog bone, or a multi-deck.

Crandell

I mostly want something for continious running, but with a yard and an engine facility, and 4-5 siding to delivers cars. problem is, spinning the train around take so much space... I will post the plans of the room later tonight

Maybe my wording is wrong, but its a section of benchwork and track that attaches to the end of a line. You make this how ever long your longest train will be. After you are done your west bound drops/pickups, you drive your entire train on to this leaf. The leaf is attached with dowels for line up purposes and locking hardware to the main benchwork. You can then unclip a harness for power, unlock the leaf, remove it, turn it 180 and then place back on the layout with your train facing the other way, thus having an east bound train. Also you could have multipe leafs with different trains on it, and store these like drawers under the layout or somewhere else like staging.

Just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
End leaf

or maybe make the leaf a turntable. I have seen some plans with 3 tracks, all aimed at the center pivot )|( Would limit train length to about 3 or 4 feet.

Armchair

I am in process of making a layout that has continuous running. It goes from an upper level about 2.5' higher than the lower level on a shelf to a platform with a small town and yard at the far end, then on down to a loop on the bottom level directly under the top level. The plan calls for what looks like double track throughout, but is really single track. There will be a loop at the top with a coal mine/loadout and a pair of short sidings going down to the town for crew change, then on to the bottom terminal (either a barge terminal or powerplant).
The only part of this that is wider than 18" is the town and the two loops.
This is in a 7'x17' room with plenty of space to move around. It can be operated if you want, or can be continuous loop.

Got a good idea for the continuous running, i could make my L shelf and close the loop using a big removable diagonals section. im working right now on a draft plan for it

When you said leaf, I got the idea for a folding thing that would fold down when not running. Make the layout a folded-dog bone, and have the loop of track that sticks out be on the folding leaf. It could drop down out of the way when not running, and allow the space to not be wasted.

Back