Wrecked/damaged/repaired engines you've modeled (PHOTO HEAVY)

Dave, the burned out and rusted areas are done with AIM Products weathering powders. Here's the steps.

1. paint the area black
2. paint rust over that (doesn't have to cover completely)
3. AIM powders (mixed with alcohol) rust, dark rust, black
4. spray dull-coat over everything while the powders are still wet, that makes the white areas come out. has something to do with the alcohol and the dull-coat mixing while drying. found that out by accident.

Thanks for the step-by-step. I have to say the tip about the alcohol and dullcoat is a real treat. I can't wait to see that working. I noticed if you let the alcohol dry before you spray dullcoat on the white stains will wash away when you spray the dollcoat on.
Dave

Dave, I was weathering some sideframes and in a hurry one day, sprayed the dull-coat on while the powders were still a bit damp and the white showed up. I liked the affect so I left it. :) Found out completely by accident, but hey, it works!! LOL

I did it a few years ago,and took my creations to a train show,and was laughted at. was toLD "why would i buy a damaged locomotive,when i can get a nice one?"

Because this is what separates the men from the boys. Anyone can run a toy train, but it takes a real modeler to run a train that actually looks real and is a scale reproduction of the real thing, aka a model :D

That is true I agree with Eric. I seen a GE Toaster #196, I'm going to use the tips Jerome teached us to burn it.LOL (i hate them GE's lol)

To me, there is a difference between a so called damaged engine and a modeled wreck. A damaged engine is one that got dropped on the floor or thrown against the wall (did that). A wreck is one that takes time to make and is like the real ones seen today out there on the mainlines and back shops of real rail roads.

Very good eye for detail in those pictures.
My crippled loco wasn't in a wreck, but it's got the prime mover and trucks removed and following on a second flat.
20221216_193828.jpg
20221108_170756.jpg

Back