WPF Oct. 4 - 10

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Hey, hey hey!!! 'tis time to get the new week of some great modeling photos going here! Lets make it a great week, shall we!

I have been continuing some work on nthe new section. I am using a partially finished dairy kit that has been sitting on a shelf down cellar for 30 or so years. I looked on line to see what i coulod get in a Dairy kit that would fit the space I have for it... Nope! Nothing... Then I thought of the old partially (and badly) built old dairy kit sitting in the back. Turns out it does fit the area perfectly. I removed the old roofs on it and will rebuild those, decaled it for my old Uncle Eli's Dairy (Howard's Dairy in Canandaigua, NY) and built a stone foundation for it from plaster "Stone" strips from New England Brownstone. The foundation will bring the building up to be able to be serviced by rail in the back. It will work out fine!

HowardsDairy01w_zps4879ad74.png

Test fitting the building in place:

HowardsDairy02w_zps5f46230e.png

After a few minor adjustments I stained the strips with Woodland Scenics stone color (Diluted):

HowardsDairy03w_zps96bdfe35.png

The color will lighten over a few days... Then again checked it with the building in place:

HowardsDairy04w_zps5d1d0ffa.png

The roofing that is still left will be replaced after I get the main roof done. Left it on temporarily to strengthen the structure while I work on it.

Just got a set of 6 BLI D&RGW H2a coal hoppers. And I just finished weathering them.

P1000869.JPG

P1000870.JPG

Nicely done, Michael. I'm glad to see you haven't over-weathered them -- I suppose it's realistic when the cars get turned into rust-buckets but I'm not really partial to that look personally.

Ray ... Nice start with your new building.
Michael ... Hoppers look good.

Here is a shot of a Burlington E5

E5horse.jpg

Nicely done, Michael. I'm glad to see you haven't over-weathered them -- I suppose it's realistic when the cars get turned into rust-buckets but I'm not really partial to that look personally.

Thanks Erik. Yes I'm with you on that. I don't like the rust bucket look of rolling stock. When I look at cars on the railcarphotos web site, only about 10% are complete rust buckets. Surprisingly a lot of them are in great condition with well kept cars.

Ray, your modeling is always first rate. Nice job on the hoppers, Michael. Like the horseys, Garry. Nice shot, Corey. I haven't been on here for a while, so, here's a shot of a GP7 helper heading back to the yard.

7d77c1ad-cf0e-4f95-9458-845faa34bceb_zpsa083729d.jpg

Great looking stuff so far this week. Love the PRR GP7. Here is a shot of an area that I have been working on. This is what is left of the old station in Thompson, PA along my D&H Penn Division. The old REA building now houses a company that still occasionally receives goods by box car.

20141001_061747.jpg

When I look at cars on the railcarphotos web site,

I have a problem with that site. I can enter and view the normal sized pics but whenever I try to register so I can get to enlarge them, even though I get a message that an account has been created, logging in, I get another that says there's no record of my email address. And there's never been an email sent to me with a link to activate the account.

I have a problem with that site. I can enter and view the normal sized pics but whenever I try to register so I can get to enlarge them, even though I get a message that an account has been created, logging in, I get another that says there's no record of my email address. And there's never been an email sent to me with a link to activate the account.

I ran into the same problem a couple years ago when I was trying to register. Then all sudden it just started working.

For problems contact Zack Hilton at zhilton@cox.net

My first attempt at weathering cars with chalks.... No rust spots this time just a few attempts to make cars look used!

956170a911cb738410a2ccd1ac434a09.jpg

83657d775e5d99d6a99793959dfe90a7.jpg

779b3f2db5a3f70a521beab239c03710.jpg

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention.... First attempt at scenery too on the portion of the layout those cars were on....

2663039c3f9ae34139ed23ef8d4e64c4.jpg

8726a342b838ca686fd981769738dbe9.jpg

Steve

Steve, that looks pretty good for you first time weathering cars. And also great job with the scenery too.

But your tunnel portals look a little too white/bright. Maybe some weathering with some grey. And the tops where the locomotives go through. Some black on there from the smoke from the locos dirtying things up.

Something like this....

P1000702_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback, I've got some dark chalks I'm going to try dirtying the portals up with.

Did you paint yours? It looks great!

Steve

Thanks for the feedback, I've got some dark chalks I'm going to try dirtying the portals up with.

Did you paint yours? It looks great!

Steve

Ya I used an airbrush with really thinned out black paint. But you can use the weathering chalks too. Just go easy on it, don't go too much.

Weathered the portals a bit tonight.....

053ed37c9a078d2e9690f5078912fd16.jpg

383a271e6c0d069cb7fd71bf1b27050c.jpg

4bef67edb19d41837ad48a8e31c826f2.jpg

Used chalk on that set but I may try thinned paint on the next to see which I like better. Thanks again for the tips!

I just got on that site, registered, got the email immediately, and thoroughly enjoyed looking at the big pictures of the cars. Thanks for letting me know about it. :)

Back