WPF for week of 3/24-3/30

I'll start us off this week. Progress has been slow for me as it is our busy season at work and it has been consuming all of my time. These are pictures of what will be my version of the D&H along the rock bluffs of Lake Champlain in upstate NY.

IMAG0677.jpgIMAG0676.jpgIMAG0675.jpg

Progress is always SLOW on my layout......

Work has been progressing SLOWly on the SLOW where the Blacksmith's Shop will reside. Earth has appeared and soon will be growing grass and trees and shrubs I bet:

BlacksmithTestFit01w_zps9e035f3a.png

Oh, a Horseshoe has magically appeared over the door of the shop. Yes, it is correctly done according to a prototype photo I have of the building! The horseshoe is dumping good luck on all who enter....

Horseshoe1w_zps27365554.png

Today a road crew arrived to put the gravel road up to and around the building. (The bridge ain't gonna happen. Doesn't work well...)

BlacksmithScenery10w_zps19c4460a.png

BlacksmithScenery11w_zpsee98e18d.png

It is printed paper from Clever Models. the only real wood is the 4"x4" posts. I never thought it would have turned out so good. I am very impressrd with the results. You should really check them out. They have a few free models you can download to try it out.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of printed stock materials....These are from Kings Mill. I found them at a train show here in Atlanta a few weeks ago. So far I am very pleased. I have mounted some on black foam board and then others directly to the backdrop to add depth. I like the fence too Kevin. As usual, the blacksmith shop is amazing. Really starting to take shape.

IMAG0679.jpgIMAG0678.jpg

I should! Who makes an HO scale Brontosaurus??
There are two that would be perfect. They were in play sets that were manufactured in the early 1960s. Just a cheap plastic dinos. I found two on e-bay, but they are in large lots and it seems people think since they are old that they are worth a bunch. Sigh. I would give you mine except through the years one has gotten dog chewed, and the other got hit with a lawn mower so it has a nice chunk out of its back. Most "serious" dinosaur models these days are 1/35 scale.

See this ebay ad. The very light grey almost white one just to the right of center. Has another white thing on its head and a bit of a chewed tail. Cut in in half horizontally just a bit above 1/2 way through would sit nicely in the lake. The other one that caught my eye in this lot is the short neck plesiosaur. Also the same light grey color. It is more to the left. Just below a yellow triceratops and above a yellow mammoth.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Plastic-Dinosaur-Toy-Lot-Mixed-Brands-Marx-100-pieces-/281293232046

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two that would be perfect. They were in play sets that were manufactured in the early 1960s. Just a cheap plastic dinos. I found two on e-bay, but they are in large lots and it seems people think since they are old that they are worth a bunch. Sigh. I would give you mine except through the years one has gotten dog chewed, and the other got hit with a lawn mower so it has a nice chunk out of its back. Most "serious" dinosaur models these days are 1/35 scale.

See this ebay ad. The very light grey almost white one just to the right of center. Has another white thing on its head and a bit of a chewed tail. Cut in in half horizontally just a bit above 1/2 way through would sit nicely in the lake. The other one that caught my eye in this lot is the short neck plesiosaur. Also the same light grey color. It is more to the left. Just below a yellow triceratops and above a yellow mammoth.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Plastic-Dinosaur-Toy-Lot-Mixed-Brands-Marx-100-pieces-/281293232046

I can make an HO scale Jurassic Park with those!

Speaking of printed stock materials....These are from Kings Mill. I found them at a train show here in Atlanta a few weeks ago. So far I am very pleased. I have mounted some on black foam board and then others directly to the backdrop to add depth. I like the fence too Kevin. As usual, the blacksmith shop is amazing. Really starting to take shape.

Those look really good. I have a few of the Clever Models downloaded and printed. Do you spray yours first with matte finish? I was surprised how much that changed the characteristics of the paper. Here I have one wall of fence up.
20140326_204148_zpslxoxxjmf.jpg

Good stuff, I need to get or make some backdrops. I'm tired of looking at my ugly garage walls!

Thanks to all for posting your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin, I haven't 100% decided on the arrangement yet, so everything is either taped or just leaning against the wall at this point. I do plan on spraying them with matte before I'm done, especially since you said it makes a big difference.

The instructions I got were to spray them before cutting them out. If you can imagine paper vs styrene, after spraying it is right in the middle somewhere. I used (I think) 80# paper for mine. But it really depends on the scale size of the item you are printing. I sprayed the back side first and soaked it until I could see through the printing on the other side. Then I used a hair dryer to quickly dry it up. Hope this helps.

I need to get or make some backdrops.Thanks to all for posting your work.

A quick fix backdrop, if you are taking some photos and want the studs or bricks covered, is a plain white sheet with blue spray paint. Leave some large white clouds (unsprayed areas) on the horixon and smaller ones up higher to give an illusion of depth.

Here is a shot of my "sheet" backdrop which I made in the infancy of my layout. Everything you see has been redone. It is the best picture of the white sheet with blue spray paint, though.

008_81.JPG

008_82.JPG

It is best if you do not fold the sheet, it kind of wrecks the paint.

Fence shots---great! Progress on the 6-sided brick building very nice, too. Also, some very real water and an awesome hill with wrap around track.

lasm

Thanks for the tip lasm, these might work for a quick temporary backdrop until I can build some permanent ones. Thanks again

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LASM, those sheets are a heck of an idear. It is a backwards approach that is a really smart way to paint a backdrop. You should patent that idea :D

I am going to maybe try that because I am not sure if I want to make my layout a permanent addition to the room I will be building it in.

Have you thought about spraying some gray on the clouds for shadows? If you look, clouds are usually white and gray. Unless they are very thin clouds in which case they are void of many shadows. Or if they are Indiana storm clouds. Then they are black or even green ;)

Have you thought about spraying some gray on the clouds for shadows? If you look, clouds are usually white and gray.

I stumbled on something like that on my present backdrop. I had a can of gray primer and sprayed some of that near the bottom of the white clouds and it gave a very cool, verga, effect.

[video=youtube_share;gOSrRVuvkNQ]http://youtu.be/gOSrRVuvkNQ[/video]

Here is a short video of my 40' backdrop, painted on plastic tablecloth. At 40 seconds I have some of the white clouds with a little gray primer sprayed for effect. At 59 seconds there is just gray primer which looks like mist coming off the hills.

This material doesn't travel very well, I think it will be destroyed when we move. If you take a really long look at things, everything we do is temporary.

lasm

Back