WPF for 19-26 March 2010

Selector

Hi, fellas...I'm back after an extended absence. Long story, but I recall pitching decks, waves, the Darwin Channel, penguins on Magdallena Island, circum-navigating Horn Island, walking through the marvellous cities of Santiago, Buenos Aires, and Rio de Janeiro. Weird, but I am awake and posting once again. :D

A new arrival to the Seneca Sub. A Pennsy Q2 lumbers down the grade toward the Sub yard holding back many tons of cattle.

IMG_7199csharadj2res.png

-Crandell

Nice shot, Crandell. Were you in Santiago before or after the big one?
Its a beautiful city and country - spent about 9 months there in '94. Loved it!

A couple shots of a Sequoia Scale Models kit I picked up about 30 years ago when last in HO. Started building a couple days ago, just about complete with the super-details. First effort at aged building.

I had built and finished a tile manufacturing plant at this site and was less than happy with the result. After seeing Jerome's locomotive rebuilders diorama, all I had to do was turn around and see the numerous unused locomotives on the shelf and out came the tile plant. This is not finished by a long shot and is no where near the level of workmanship that Jerome has but it is a start....plus I can swap out the locomotives and change the scenery without much effort.

Jeffrey,
I was about to say with that thing in the yard you never have to worry about a hostile takeover of your railraod...but after looking at the background of your photo it appears ya might have test fired it....
Rich

What you saw was several projects that I was working on before my latest bout with an infection. I have 2 of those railways guns. It's name is Big Thunder and it's made by Model Power.

Rich, I love it!! What brand is that long armed cutter you have there ready to scrap those locos?? If you have some dummy trucks or spare side frames about, you could also add those in.

Crandell, that's an impressive train and scenery.

Jon, great job on the building.

Jeffrey, that's a BIG gun.

Rich, great looking facility.

A Geep and a switcher. DJ.

P1040187.jpg

Jon, we embarked in Valparaiso, Santiago's port about an hour and a bit away, on the late afternoon of the 23rd. The earthquake hit in the early morning of the 27th. It made for an unhappy and uneasy time for those aboard because most of us had spent time in either place and gotten to know the surroundings and people somewhat. Still, the ship sailed on and we soon managed to get ourselves into tour mood once again. The glaciers helped.

-Crandell

Jon, we embarked in Valparaiso, Santiago's port about an hour and a bit away, on the late afternoon of the 23rd. The earthquake hit in the early morning of the 27th. It made for an unhappy and uneasy time for those aboard because most of us had spent time in either place and gotten to know the surroundings and people somewhat. Still, the ship sailed on and we soon managed to get ourselves into tour mood once again. The glaciers helped.

-Crandell

So, did you like my country???
Next time you'll be here, let me know.

Regards

As always.... Excellent! I do love the weekend. Crandell and Grampy... and others, Love your shots!

I have been little by little assembling the end walls for the new engine house on Bare Mountain. Here is the inside walls:

LoggingEngineHouse08w.png

And the painted outside walls and the main doors for the structure:

LoggingEngineHouse09w.png

Still lots of fun to be had on this, but progress is being made!

So, did you like my country???
Next time you'll be here, let me know.

Regards

Mike, we were made to feel very welcome, and we loved Chile. Had some great Pisco sours. Saw some very nice architecture, and enjoyed some nice fruit. It has been a few years since I enjoyed a pepino or a tuna*. (We lived high in the Andes in Peru between 1957 and 1966).

-Crandell

*For those reading, it isn't the fish...it is the cactus pear from the Nopalo cactus.

Jeffrey, I know what you mean by several projects at one time. I am finally far enough along that I do seem to finish a project or two periodically. And I remember picking up one of those guns at a show and using the carriage and chassis for a heavy duty flat car project. It was less than successful but a lot of fun.....
Jerome, thanks for the suggestions and the compliment, the tracked cutter is a Herpa model. I have the box here in front of me but I'll be danged if I can find a model number on it. I bought two of them from a 1/87 scale construction website for a very reasonable price. I wish the cutting head was bigger but it is still a nice model......Wait I looked again before I posted and it is a LIEBHERR R954. If you run a search using that and add ho scale behind it you'll get a herd of hits...most appear to be around 50 bucks a model, which considering the detail level is a good price from my point of view.
Steve, I only put the F45 there for the photos to offset all of the blues and grays in the photo. I plan on powering the beast and using it on my coal drags. I just picked up a couple of NWSL can motors and have got one WC F45 repowered and running......
The never ending joys of model railroading. Now if the lastest burn from the soldering gun would heal a little faster I could get back to work.

Accurail kit. I replaced the accumates with bachmann EZ mates and replaced the plastic wheels with metal ones from an Athearn RTR 50' EL 50' plug door.

DSCF4016.jpg

Crandell, that's an impressive train and scenery.

Jon, great job on the building.

Jeffrey, that's a BIG gun.

Rich, great looking facility.

A Geep and a switcher. DJ.

Well thanks for getting my shoes full of crud DJ. Man I really feel like I'm standing IN the scene! What a shot. I can smell the creosote.

Johnny

Back