WPF Aug 11 to 17

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Lets get a new weeks edition of Weekly Photo Fun started!

I have gotten a few things done on the Bridge project for the SLOW. I cut some "Square nuts" for the top side of the bridge to hold the J Bolts tight to the I beams. They will be painted flat black with a touch of rust in places as soon as the glue dries.

SmallGirder19w_zps6402cd04.png

I also cut the wooden side bracing for the ties on the bridge. Since this photo, I have creosoted them to match the ties...

SmallGirder22w_zps3f8794b2.png

Lets see what you all have been doing!

A full size view of last weeks project. The interior light can be seen through the open door. The tree on the left was made out of a root of some shrub growing in our yard, I got the idea from youtube.

ironworks 001.jpg

lasm

Update ... Today's progress on the bridge. Painted the square nuts on the top of the bridge (above each J Bolt) and did a touch of weathering with rust.

SmallGirder24w_zps41525d06.png

On the underside I also weathered the J bolts.

SmallGirder25w_zpscf4d31fb.png

It is now basically finished. Rails will be set in place after it is installed on the layout. Here it is sitting on the stone abutments:

SmallGirder28w_zps920795f8.png

And being test fit on the layout:

SmallGirder30w_zps818a3ea0.png

Ray, your bridge is looking great! I can't believe you cut square nuts.

Lasm, I'm glad you posted the entire building; I like the weathering.

How about a little Mayberry for this week.
Thanks for looking,
D.A.

Floyd1.jpg

Floyd2.jpg

The tree on the left was made out of a root of some shrub growing in our yard, I got the idea from youtube.
What shrub? Thorny milkweed roots make great pine trees. I always wait for a good rain before I pull them so that all the fine sub roots aren't sheared off.

What shrub?

American hazel, grey dogwood, or tartarian honeysuckle. I dug the roots in an area of heavy brush and picked out what looked best.

If well equipped, I would take a backhoe and get a big slice of ground broken up that way. The way I did it, with a shovel, took a lot of trial and error to get a nice speciman. I dried the roots for about 3 weeks before adding foliage.

lasm

I'm going to run a German steam tourist museum train on my layout. I did some research, and there are quite a few German steam locos that are persevered and were purchased by American railroads.

I just purchased the 6 car set by Trix. I also ordered the BR 10 German steam locomotive with sound and smoke. I ordered from an ebay seller in Germany, so it will take a few weeks to get here.

Here's two of the German Trix passenger cars. They are really nice. Great paint and detail, nice interiors. The couplers are a little strange though, took me a while to figure out how they work.

P1000746.JPG

P1000745.JPG

Nice job, Michael. Clever how you brought the culvert to the edge of the layout. Vica verca I gues a lot of 0-8-0, consolidations, and mikados went to europe after the war, in the rebuilding effort.

RAY nice bridge. I like the abutments too.

MTS another expert build.

Michael,
If you're looking for more, Dougs Trains, Toys and Hobbies in Claymont, DE (he just moved from Wilmington) has a bunch.

The German cars are neat, but I can't justify it to myself. Glad you could though!

Michael,
If you're looking for more, Dougs Trains, Toys and Hobbies in Claymont, DE (he just moved from Wilmington) has a bunch.

The German cars are neat, but I can't justify it to myself. Glad you could though!

Thanks. Ya there doesn't seem to be very many dealers for European trains. So this good know.

Ray: Nice work on the bridge.. ...
LASM ... I like how your building looks.
jwb ... I like the RF&P GP7
Motley ... Your European passenger cars look good.
DA ... I like the Barber Shop.

Here is an end view of my modernized heavyweight Diner-Parlo car.

Car308inPV.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of a Walthers Mi-Jack crane that I built a while back. Until I can find a Heljan Container Terminal on the cheap it is going to have to service my future yard. The first shot is in my fancy cardboard box spray booth.

GEDC0019.jpg
GEDC0028.jpg
GEDC0027.jpg

va6a8uje.jpg

heqemydu.jpg

I just made this building today. It's a pikestuff kit but I added a freight door, which is in the second pic. Easy kit to build and looks pretty nice too. I spray painted it beige and did the doors grey, left the windows and gutters white.

2 progress photos on the Philly & Scranton:

1t is my version of what will be Wilkes-Barre, PA. Upper line represents an elevated update to the LV passenger route thru downtown. Eventually, a 1970's style Amtrak station will be located here, with somewhat similar look to PC's Albany/Rensselier, NY station of early Amtrak period. This will be the route to Scranton. Lower line will be the CNJ/D&H route thru down, mostly used for freight. Both will be electrified as part of the P&S.

Second foto is of northern end of Reading Yard, with Belt Line Junction to the right, out of the frame. Belt Line Junction will run thru curved switches on the P&S due to space restrictions.

Looks like people have been busy! Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• wb814c.jpg
    wb814c.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 203
  • bljct814a.jpg
    bljct814a.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 201

Back