Wpf 7-21-15 - 7-28-15

It's been a few 'moons' since I've had time to post/visit my favorite Showin' Off thread, so let's see some pics of your summer projects.

Do you remember the old song, 'Little Brown Shack Out Back?' Here's the link with some great old photos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEuEkNffYzg

I build these 'Johnny Houses' in O scale.
Thanks for looking,
D.A.

Outhouses O scale 1.jpg

A pair of Utah Railway Alcos on a track cleaning extra at the East Terrible Mill. The track cleaning car is an ancient Revell that works at least as well as anything newer. I painted it and lettered it with decals I made myself.

URY_302-305_on_track_cleaner_extra.jpg

I don't like to post the same photo on different photo threads, so this is unique to this one.

A southbound Northern Pacific tourist train leaving Logan heading south to West Yellowstone, MT and Yellowstone Park.

110.jpgIMAG0201.jpg111.jpg112.jpg

My son was home sick from school today (Hooky... I think... but home), so I took a little time and worked on my mountain. I need some foliage, but I think it's looking pretty good.

0A24217C-1169-4C2E-8638-8315EC795262_zpsjgpc4eat.jpg

Thanks for getting things started!

I've been working on the peninsula mountain scene. Lots of rocks to mold still, then I can begin the process of painting. I'm saving ballasting for last, those rocks can get messy!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:
DA ... I like the outhouses. ... A triple header? :confused:

JWB ... I like the Utah Ry. Alcos

Montanan ... The NP trin looks great on your layout.

KB02 ... Your mountain looks great

AyTrane ... Your scenery will be very impressive .

Below is number 700D, a F9Am, rolling through downtown.... The prototype 700D was an F7 that was wrecked and rebuilt by EMD to an F9Am

CampS700DHL_zpscd2dabaf.jpg

So since you brought up "moons". Without looking it up on-line what does the moon mean on an outhouse?

Oooo, Ooooo, Oooo! I know, I know!!!! Below if you check out the two outhouses, the one that old Uncle Albert is using has a star on the door. The other one has a Half moon..... ;);)

NecessaryHouse3w.png

Here's an accurail ACF covered hopper I painted with Model Masters enamel and applied MicroScale decals to. It started life as an undecorated kit. I added #158 Kadees and metal wheel set trucks.
MRL 01.jpg
Makes the perfect addition to my latest diesel. Athearn Genesis SD70ACe #4312...
MRL 02.jpg

MRL blue is a color very few seem to get right. Athearn's seems to be the best, MTH's is "off" and too dull. Expecting my #4312 in a few weeks from "Power-Hobby' on ebay. Missed out from Klein's (all sold out while I was asleep) Seems we might have a long wait till they do any of the #4400 series (isolated cab) versions, unless Athearn decide to include a Mexican version in the line-up. Will require a modification to the steps, 5 instead of 4, that all their current RRoad versions have.

I'm experimenting with Rustoleum Navy Blue and a Satin clear on some old cars. Did those decals come with all the small writing and visibility reflectors included on the logo's sheet?

Last edited by a moderator:
The decals I bought off ebay and they come with all the markings for 4 different cars, a 2 bay hopper, ACF hopper, bulkhead flat and a pulpwood flat. The paint I used was Blue Angle blue. I also painted an SD40-2 with that color. I used a flat black primer, base coat with that. On the hopper I used grey primer. I think the black primer yielded a closer match.
MRL #1.jpg

Oooo, Ooooo, Oooo! I know, I know!!!! Below if you check out the two outhouses, the one that old Uncle Albert is using has a star on the door. The other one has a Half moon.
Cool, I was hoping someone would. This is also why I grin anytime someone talks about the sun, moon, and stars.....

Cool, I was hoping someone would. This is also why I grin anytime someone talks about the sun, moon, and stars.....

LOL... The reason most people have only seen old outhouses with the half moon is that the ladies outhouse was usually taken much better care of over the years than the men's. So when indoor plumbing became the norm and the outhouse was reserved for when the inside necessary room was in use, they kept the one with the half moon as it was generally in much better shape. One reason I know about this is that on the farm when I was growing up we still had a "two hole'er" attached to the tool shed off the kitchen of the old farm house. Used it many times when the ladies where trying to get looking pretty in the indoor one!

LOL... The reason most people have only seen old outhouses with the half moon is that the ladies outhouse was usually taken much better care of over the years than the men's. So when indoor plumbing became the norm and the outhouse was reserved for when the inside necessary room was in use, they kept the one with the half moon as it was generally in much better shape. One reason I know about this is that on the farm when I was growing up we still had a "two hole'er" attached to the tool shed off the kitchen of the old farm house. Used it many times when the ladies where trying to get looking pretty in the indoor one!

Meanwhile, back at the outhouse; things are piling up. :eek:

0726150936.png

With the exception of some paint touch ups, I've finally finished my outside braced caboose. I haven't decided on lettering for it yet. It has a Tomar caboose lighting kit and I added an LED interior light as well.

Back