Wpf 5_20_06

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Hi gang! I have been waiting for a starter, but thought I would go ahead and get it going with a few on my progress. Guess everyone's camera is broke like mine has been:rolleyes: :D .

The new station is now positioned and ready for business.
agg.sized.jpg

The Southern Crescent is the first arrival.
agh.sized.jpg

Switcher spotting caboose for outbound.
agi.sized.jpg

Northern Yard is becoming a busy place.
agj.sized.jpg

Nice work Rex,

here's my contribution
today we went chasing a steam train on a fan trip from eastern England to Lancashire, it's an 8F 2-8-0 No 48151
below, passing through Bamber bridge outside Preston
148307109.gif

and here on the west coast main line going at speed
148306791.gif

here again is the loco coming off it's train at it's home depot at Carnforth
148306809.gif

and below is it's replacment SD40-2 engined class 57, they sound way cool
148306800.jpg

and below the boys watching some comuter trains going by
148306796.gif

this is a video of the train taken by Don Burgess
http://www.burgess57.freeserve.co.uk/5Z52_HB.WMV

Nice work, Rex! Steve, I love those British Steamers. They are always kept in beautiful shape.

I haven't been doing anything too photogenic this week. Just working on some new benchwork and subroadbed.

Benchwork7a.jpg

Benchwork8a.jpg

Cutting all the strips for the spline latice roadbed is soooo much fun.... :D
And glue all over the place to play with.

Spline~1a.jpg

Spline~2a.jpg

Great work, all!

Steve B: Nice pics! As an American, I don't often get to see railroad pictures from "the other side of the pond". Nice!!!

This week I'm calling Red Rock Canyon done.

Southern Pacific Daylight takes on water before stopping for passengers.

traincity37.gif

Red Rock Canyon

traincity38.gif

Future home of Rock Ridge Community Church Outhouse

traincity40.gif

Top of Tater Mountain

traincity41.gif

Eastbound DayLight emerges from Red Rock Canyon

traincity42.gif

Back of Tater Mountain

traincity43.gif

Top of Tater Mountain

traincity44.gif

Hank returns with supplies on the West Road.

traincity45.gif

traincity46.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip, nice work, you have been busy with the tree's and rock faces by the look's of things
Raynice benchwork, i know what you mean about splines, i did some last year from 1/4" x 4" MDF, securing them in place was the fun part, but you live and learn, it'll be easier this time around

Thanks fellows. As you see, there are lots of work to be done in this area with more kit building and some simple scenery for now. The big thing is to get the operations going in this area.

The Walthers "City Station" will get a light weathering job, people, baggage, and etc. to give the impression of busy-busy. I have to build a refinery, Northern Power building, REA building, team track, large machine shop, and a steel mill that takes the pig iron from my existing blast furnace area. Of course, lots of backdrop work (you available Ray?:D ) I have to get busy to do this so I can get back to the main layout. Gads, I got dozens of incompletes.

Now about the steel mill: I bought the Plastruc Steel Mill and opened the box. :eek: Yikes! You have to cut the sides out of raw sheets of plastic and etch the sheet metal panels in. That should eat up many rainy days:D . Has anyone out there built one of these? Steve, didn't you have one on your layout?? If you have any "watch-out-for's" or hints, please let me know.;) :)

Chip, you are really doing good. I would bet that you are starting to feel a lot of real satisfaction.

Ray, the (edit:))complicated benchwork you are doing now would give a cabinet maker nightmares:D, but if your like me it is fun to do it. Aren't you thankful for those type of clamps. I bought some about 5 years ago and have used them for everything imaginable...great third hand.;)

Steve, I am envious of your rail excursions. I would love to see and hear the huffing and puffing again. You got to put it in high gear and get started on your layout so that you can hear/see it every day:D .

NZKen: Sorry I missed your call. I have an email coming your way.

RexHea said:
Ray, the benchwork you are doing now would give a cabinet maker nightmares:D, but if your like me it is fun to do it. Aren't you thankful for those type of clamps. I bought some about 5 years ago and have used them for everything imaginable...great third hand.;)

Crude, but sturdy! ;) Once it is covered with scenery nobody sees it so why be fancy? The legs are a good use for some old shelving from the basement made out of 2 x 4s ripped into 2 x 2s. They were torn apart when I made the new room. In fact the spline lattice roadbed is made from some leftover 2 x 4s that are about 25 years old ripped into 3/4" X 1/8" strips on my new table saw. Works great. The clamps are one of the best investments I ever made. They are perfect for all kinds of jobs.

Sorry Ray, I meant the complicated benchwork you are doing now would give a cabinet maker nightmares. i.e. compliment

My son insisted that I have deer and wolves in my woods. I could not find any wolves, but we found some deer while stuck in Pittsburgh today.

traincity47.gif

traincity48.gif

well i was suposed to go to a car show today but the rain stoped that. so i found myself with a little time. here is my frist try at celling tile rock . i got to put some bushs and a few trees in. what do you all think so far ?

1st pic is with flash 2nd with out i can zoom in on them in a pic if you all would like

RexHea said:
Sorry Ray, I meant the complicated benchwork you are doing now would give a cabinet maker nightmares. i.e. compliment

I took it that way! Thankx! ;) :D

Chip, what company makes the deer? I have some Bears and raccoons on the Mountain by Cooleys Blue Ice, but counldn't find deer.

rhoward said:
Chip, what company makes the deer? I have some Bears and raccoons on the Mountain by Cooleys Blue Ice, but counldn't find deer.

Woodland Scenics. Lifelike also makes some, but the quality of the Woodland Scenics is better.

Hi All,

Great work every one! Nice to see that work goes on despite the nice(ok, semi-nice) weather. Not much from Wisconsin, doing some airbrush work for some folks. But I have started to rough in some vegetation on the Ablemann quarry diorama. Trying some different tree techniques(well different to me). Have fun!!

CNW SD50 No.7004
View attachment 3372

CNW SD40T-2 No.8960
View attachment 3373

Johnny

Back