WPF 4/7 to 4/13/2014

Thought I'd bring this back to the top of the page....

Based on suggestions made here and in another forum, I have done a bit more scenery, changed a few placement of items, and changed to a different set of picnickers. A few more photos of the Alloway, NY Blacksmith Shop, built in 1832 and shown as I think it could have looked back in 1925.

Enjoy, and comments/suggestions welcome.

BlacksmithFinal09w_zpsbde38f54.png

BlacksmithFinal08w_zps5f9abeee.png

BlacksmithFinal07w_zps6bdad7c5.png

BlacksmithFinal06w_zpsee61cbae.png

I have been waiting for these shots Ray. That has turned out so great. Good job!

I have been slowly progressing on my mini diorama, working on one detail at a time. I am currently building a tree for placement behind the fence. I thought about adding foliage, but since this is a scene from a junk yard, and the tree turned out pretty good I may just leave it as a dead tree that has been left standing.

20140412_135127_zpsab7zi8kg.jpg

20140412_135142_zpsdiwii8k9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys. I forgot to come update my links after some organizing. They are back up now.

Tony, That concrete slab is just painted and weathered basswood. I first sealed the wood, then I scribed the expansion joints with an exacto blade. Then I drug an exacto blade upside down back through each joint to open them up a bit. I then used some 220 grit sand paper folded tightly and pulled through the joints to smooth the edges.

The cracks were done free hand after the first coat of acrylic paint was applied using the exacto blade. I re-cut them after each coat of paint to redefine them a bit. I tilted the blad a bit in some areas to remove small chunks of the slab. There are I think 4 coats of paint on the slab. I then weathered it with a diluted wash of Mars Black then I dusted with chalks. I used black and white chalk to dirty it up. I will have to redo this after all the handling.

Thanks Kevin,

It really does look great and, if you don't mind, might use your technique for a couple of things that I am looking at doing.

Just some stuff I learned from watching you guys work Tony ;)

Great looking stuff. Kevin, I love the parking lot and the tree definitely needs to stay "dead" Here is some progress on the shore of Lake Champlain. The rock is finally done after a few weeks of mold pouring and plaster carving. Hope to actually pour the lake this week and get the top of the mountain covered in trees.

IMAG0688.jpg

Trees or not that looks good.

I see next weeks has started so I will move along ;)

Back