WPF 4/7 to 4/13/2014

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Well... here it is Tuesday and nobody started this weeks photo Fun thread.... Guess I will then!

OK folks. Lets play, "What's Wrong with this Photo"! I am getting close to calling the area done and am now starting to seriously photograph the project and give a critical eye to making the "Perfect" photo for something. Lets see what you can find in this one. I can see at least 4 things that still need to be done or changed in this photo:

BlacksmithScenery19w_zps311dadc2.png

Feel free to find fault with these as well...

BlacksmithScenery20w_zpsf7a7cc4c.png

BlacksmithScenery21w_zpsaa57cc80.png

Some things involve slightly different angles on the photo, but photos usually point out to me what needs to be corrected.

Isn't that retaining wall a little clean? Wouldn't there at least be some dirt and maybe some soot on it from the trains?

Nice, but if you really want critical I can go there. I don't know if these are really faults except #11 so much as picking nits, but here are some of the scene - others of the photo in no particular order.

1. With as much usage as that picnic table apparently gets there would not be grass immediately around it. Perhaps under the benches but not around it. Nor directly under it as the grass doesn't get enough sun. Probably should also be a "beaten" path to it.
2. How about a path where people cut across the tracks and up the edge to this place from the foreground.
3. Glossy clothing on the people and too "solid" in color.
4. Is it desirous to be able to see "through" the upstairs of the building?
5. In the first photo it looks like there is an edge of an isle or fascia with a control panel corner showing directly over the people's heads.
6. Just off to the right of the building it looks like there are some unfinished rocks or something in the background, "white plaster" perhaps?
7. In the 2nd photo there is a band of blue through the background. Looks like sky with a band of trees over it.
8. Why would the plants up around the building be so pale and dry looking while everything else is so jungle green? With the model-T, I presume it is long before the days of Round-up Weed killer.
9. tree stumps on the far right look too sideways and too close together considering their diameter.
10. Not a dandelion, thistle, sweet clover, or any other sort of weed flower anywhere?
And I guess finally the real issue if there is one 11. If the model-T is indicative of the age, the clothing doesn't look like the right style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Horseman, you should be an investigator! I didn't really notice any of those things until you said something.

Ray, great little scene you have there. From someone who doesn't have much of an eye for detail, the only thing that stands out to me is the retaining wall looks way too clean. You are a brave man asking for critique like that!

Now I submit a photo of my own for attaboys only! Not that I expect an attaboy, I just don't have thick skin like Ray and am aware of my amateur status. Besides, it IS a photo Fun thread!

Picture012-1.jpg

Now I submit a photo of my own for attaboys only! Not that I expect an attaboy, I just don't have thick skin like Ray and am aware of my amateur status. Besides, it IS a photo Fun thread!

Picture012-1.jpg

Tasteful weathering, great looking backdrop...looks darn professional to me!

I think they both look darn good. Ray, who made the Model T? I've been looking to add some vehicles for my layout. The Jordan kits have my eye. I was wondering if that is one of them.

Iron Horseman, thank you much! That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. There is a reason I want to rivet count and nit pick in this location which I can't go into at the moment.... I reply the way a dear old friend who is a model railroader does (in living color....).

1. With as much usage as that picnic table apparently gets there would not be grass immediately around it. Perhaps under the benches but not around it. Nor directly under it as the grass doesn't get enough sun. Probably should also be a "beaten" path to it. Very good point and one that I missed completely!
2. How about a path where people cut across the tracks and up the edge to this place from the foreground. Great idea! Done!
3. Glossy clothing on the people and too "solid" in color. Yep, agreed. I am also turning the picnic table around so only their backs will be visible. I also painted the guy's shirt a different color, more in keeping with 1925 (year the layout represents). Also may help with #11.
4. Is it desirous to be able to see "through" the upstairs of the building? Probably not... LOL That can be easily corrected with a slightly different camera angle.
5. In the first photo it looks like there is an edge of an isle or fascia with a control panel corner showing directly over the people's heads. You got it! That is exactly what it is. I will eliminate that in the photo by blocking it with a couple cars and the caboose on the tracks behind the building.
6. Just off to the right of the building it looks like there are some unfinished rocks or something in the background, "white plaster" perhaps? Unfinished part of layout.... [(edit) Actually that is the quarry on the layout. It also needs to be darkened a bit.] Will use a camera angle and crop so it doesn't appear in the photos.
7. In the 2nd photo there is a band of blue through the background. Looks like sky with a band of trees over it. LOL... Yep! That is Seneca Lake painted on the backdrop on the other side of the layout about 10 foot away. BTW the color is correct. Seneca Lake is over 800' deep in places and perfectly reflects the blue sky. It is an amazing color in real life. I hadn't noticed the blue strip and will use an angle where it doesn't show. Thanks!
8. Why would the plants up around the building be so pale and dry looking while everything else is so jungle green? With the model-T, I presume it is long before the days of Round-up Weed killer. Very good point! I will be greening it up a bit. Although since it is late summer on the layout, some brown grass would be normal, but not as much as i have there. Again, 1925...
9. tree stumps on the far right look too sideways and too close together considering their diameter. Some of that is camera angle, but I will be adding more greenery right around the stumps to help that effect. Good point!
10. Not a dandelion, thistle, sweet clover, or any other sort of weed flower anywhere? I added some flower foam I have. I'll see if that helps.
And I guess finally the real issue if there is one 11. If the model-T is indicative of the age, the clothing doesn't look like the right style. See #3. Hard to find appropriate dressed everyday wear for 1925. Most of the people I have found are in very dressy clothing (What they would wear to Church or while riding trains, etc). I may move the Model T truck over to the back of the building by the large rock at the end of the road to take away the clash of styles a bit...

Again, Thanks much! You have been very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they both look darn good. Ray, who made the Model T? I've been looking to add some vehicles for my layout. The Jordan kits have my eye. I was wondering if that is one of them.

Thanks! Yes, that is a Jordan kit. They are about the only comany making 1920's vehicles. Nice kits, BTW!

Iron Horseman, you should be an investigator! I didn't really notice any of those things until you said something.

Ray, great little scene you have there. From someone who doesn't have much of an eye for detail, the only thing that stands out to me is the retaining wall looks way too clean. You are a brave man asking for critique like that!

Thanks Corey! The retaining wall is being darkened today... It was darker but has lightened up since it was done. I have yet to use the Woodland Scenics cement/fixative on it.

Thanks for the reply. I already know which ones I want. I really wanted to see one for real. They look great. I'm sold .

8. Why would the plants up around the building be so pale and dry looking while everything else is so jungle green? With the model-T, I presume it is long before the days of Round-up Weed killer. Very good point! I will be greening it up a bit. Although since it is late summer on the layout, some brown grass would be normal, but not as much as i have there. Again, 1925...
OR maybe lightening (yellowing/browning) up the other parts a bit to blend the two together.

11. If the model-T is indicative of the age, the clothing doesn't look like the right style. See #3. Hard to find appropriate dressed everyday wear for 1925. Most of the people I have found are in very dressy clothing (What they would wear to Church or while riding trains, etc). I may move the Model T truck over to the back of the building by the large rock at the end of the road to take away the clash of styles a bit...
Don't forget that in general society was much more dressy back then. Many work-a-day jobs required ties. Even as late as the 1960s I remember dressing up to go to school, the store, the train station, and airport. If you went out of the yard you dressed up. Jeans were not allowed in school until umm umm 1969 or 1970. I guess I'm saying don't apply today's totally slobby American life style to past peoples. Don't know if that helps the figure dilemma. I wonder if there is an unsupplied market here?

OR maybe lightening (yellowing/browning) up the other parts a bit to blend the two together.

Don't forget that in general society was much more dressy back then. Many work-a-day jobs required ties. Even as late as the 1960s I remember dressing up to go to school, the store, the train station, and airport. If you went out of the yard you dressed up. Jeans were not allowed in school until umm umm 1969 or 1970. I guess I'm saying don't apply today's totally slobby American life style to past peoples. Don't know if that helps the figure dilemma. I wonder if there is an unsupplied market here?

Ah yes! Those were the days. I'll never forget the day I forgot to change out of my old cow-barn sneakers and accidentally wore them to school.... Thought I would die of embarrassment that day!!! Blue Jeans were summer wear and for the farm. I graduated from High School in '64.

was much more dressy back then. Many work-a-day jobs required ties. Even as late as the 1960s I remember dressing up to go to school, the store, the train station, and airport. If you went out of the yard you dressed up. Jeans were not allowed in school until umm umm 1969 or 1970.

Lots of good info here for the youngsters.

I watch the old television and recall how respectful society as a whole used to be. The downfall of dressing well came with the downfall of acting well. Girls had to wear dresses at our school until 1972. Jeans were definitely not worn.

I like both of our photo selections and show a great deal of talent and artistic ability.

lasm

Looks real good Ray. I wouldn't have noticed some of the so called errors either except they were mentioned in a constructive way as you requested. Here's my 2 cents worth: Ford Model T's changed very little in all the years they were produced. Perhaps the most noticeable visual change is the early years had brass radiator shells and brass headlamp housings and brass axle hub caps. Brass era T's also had wooden spoke wheels of a sort of dark maple color. Toward the end T's had steel spoked wheels. Otherwise the T was pretty plain and dare I say unattractive. I back dated a couple of the Jordan T kits with brass details and I think it makes them stand out from an otherwise all black vehicle.

Just finished this about an hour ago. I've been working on it for almost a month. One bugger of a kit to build for sure. This is an original Vintage Vehicles kit I bought the day after fire was invented. ;) Now it is being made by Jordan. Sorry about the picture quality.

Shovel1.JPG

Shovel2.JPG

Shovel3.JPG

Mike, I have that steam Shovel on my layout too.... Mine is the Jordan Models version. Thanks for the info on the Model T. Learn something new every day.

I spent most of the day making some of the suggested changes to the Blacksmith Shop area. Did take time to get new photos... Here are a few new ones done tonight.

BlacksmithScenery22w_zps220362d7.png

I darkened the retaining wall (maybe too much soot, I don't know). I may moderate the effect a bit using some ash powder tomorrow... We'll see.

BlacksmithScenery24w_zpse7700bb4.png

This one I rather like. Needs a few more boxcars on the track to make it look like a full train is going by though...

BlacksmithScenery25w_zps4168c569.png

Getting there little by little.

Back