Wpf 4/11-13/08

P1010002-35.jpg

I've been a little lazy the last few weeks in commenting on the WPF threads. There has been some out standing work going on, as usual. Keep it everyone. This is my favourite thread every week.

Carey, nice work on the SW1000. I'm hoping Athearn will update is SW1500 to the same detail as the newly announced SW1000. I'm a big fan of "poor man's" detailing. You get more satisfaction when someone asks where you got a detail part and you say I made that from scaps from the junk box!

Jeffery, nice collection of photos.

Rico, very cool track cleaner! Painting it Sperry is a great touch.

SteveB, very cool rail grinder, they don't look like that over here! And nice work on those trees.

John, very nice lighting. And that 3D drawing is excellent.

Selector, Very nice photo. Did you build your layout with photography in mind? Being able to take shots like that is really nice.

Josh, looks like that truck was parked in the wrong part of town! Look forward to seeing it back in one piece.

Mike, nice fleet. I'd recommend getting a tripod for taking indoor photos. Use the self timer on your camera as well to reduce camera shake for the longer shutter times needed for indoor flash-free photography.

Ray, nice work on the barn and silo. The barn looks too new to have that silo next to it.

Dave C, the SD40-2 fleet is looking good. I especially like the highhood!

Chip, nice catch. Can't wait to see you build that bridge.

Bob, excellent photo as always. That crane looks wonderful. I love intermodal! Is that a CP generator container in the background? I'd love to see how you built that! I need to do one myself.

Ken, your hopper passed the test in my book! That is one beautiful looking car! I've got one to do, but not as a prototype.

Jerome, nice work on the turbo fire. And good luck with the one on that auction site.

Here is the project I've been working on for the last month. A Branchline trains 50ft Berwick boxcar. This car was done for the MTW challenge and, like Ken's Hopper, is true to a prototype photo. Atleast one side is, the other side is fantasy as no picture was available.

This side replicates the prototype photo:
fab-BN249464-041208e.jpg

This is the fantasy side:
fab-BN249464-041208b.jpg

Fred, not really, but it was a consideration....if that makes any sense. I had hoped the finished product would be photogenic, but my top three goals did not include making a layout that would really look grand. Instead, I wanted a railfanning folded loop that allowed me to enjoy a longer run around the layout, I wanted larger curves, and I wanted smoother transitions and turnouts. I achieved all of these to a degree.

The only place I hoped would turn out really well from a modeller's perspective was my 13" of the apex at Horseshoe Curve in this scene:

IMG_0368_1res.JPG

The sky and obvious painted forest are on a piece of cardboard temporarily placed for the shot. Atop the rise at extreme right, that is where the camera was placed for the image this week, and facing further right to that curve you see. The close pair of tracks, a main and siding that you see in the photo above, are on a shallow arc for the sake of photography. I built it in on the advice of Joe Fugate, but unfortunately what lies behind it, to the left of this Horseshoe setting, is a high bank and the layout suspended ceiling above that...nothing to see that is spectacular.

I hope that places my vision and results in context. Mostly happenstance as it turns out. :rolleyes:

-Crandell

Okay, a couple of new photos I took this weekend, but didn't get in on time: My two 3-cylinder Rio Grande Mountains taking a freight through Deer Creek, with a big Rio Grande L-131 2-8-8-2 in the foreground.
313030001.jpg

Another shot of the train passing by the servicing yard heading up the 2% toward South Yuba Canyon. Oh, yah, that tree seems to have fallen over on the eastbound track. Better get the MW crew out to clean it up.
313032082.jpg

This whole area is pretty new on the Yuba River Sub, unfortunately my camera skills haven't improved very much, sorry.

One question, though. How do the rest of your guys get such BIG pictures? My Adobe Photoshop doesn't want to do anything but 5x7 and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.
Any hints? I'd REALLY appreciate it!
Tom :eek:

One question, though. How do the rest of your guys get such BIG pictures? My Adobe Photoshop doesn't want to do anything but 5x7 and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.
Any hints? I'd REALLY appreciate it!
Tom :eek:

Hi Tom! I would guess that it is the camera rather than Photoshop. What are you using as your digital camera, and what settings is it on. If it is an older camera, a 5 x 7 at 72DPI may be all it can do. On newer cameras, you may have several different resolutions to choose from. If that is the case, try a higher resolution. Even Photoshop can't put in resolution that isn't there and will revert to the 5 x 7 at 72 DPI. (Actually it can but you will very quickly get a very zig zag photo.)

Edit: OK, I just looked at your photo information and it was taken on a Sony DSC-P200. And I see you are using Photoshop Elements. That is a limited program that is not be able to manipulate the photo as well as the full version of Photoshop. I would still see if you can get a higher resolution from the camera to start with.

If your camera is starting with much higher resolution, and it is ending up as 5 x 7 at 72 DPI then try this:

In Photoshop go to: image/image size Then check the box that says "resample image" Set resolution to 72, then set (pixel) width to 900 or whatever width you want. See if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, from what I've read, Elements gives you everything you need, plus allot. Its something like 75% for Full Photoshop.

Ray, from what I've read, Elements gives you everything you need, plus allot. Its something like 75% for Full Photoshop.

I am not very familiar with Elements but would assume that you are correct. That would put the onus on the camera itself......

Very nice progress so far, Clone. It looks like it's going to be a fun railroad to operate. Time to start looking for vehicles and little people now. :)

Back