Wpf 3-9/3-15

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Abandoned Southern Belle baggage car.

DSCN0498.jpg

I guess I can add a few pics of CSX on the Boston Line and Guilford/PAR on the Conn River line and in Deerfield Yard. All from Massachusetts FROM 3/9.

3-9-2012-Trains-7-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-35-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-36-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-48-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-64-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-70-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-79-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-82-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-86-XL.jpg

3-9-2012-Trains-90-XL.jpg

jeffrey whats the back story on that car ??? is it gonna be saved ??
It's junk. After it was retired from passenger service in the late 60's it was relegated to MoW service for whatever they wanted to use it for. Eventually it was parked and left on an abandoned spur close to what was left of the Leesville roundhouse machine shop and there it was sitting when I came to Leesville in 1970. The machine shop and what was left of the roundhouse were torn down in the late 70's or early 80's but the old spur tracks were left. Besides the baggage car there was a track tester and a couple of old diesels. Those are long gone now. The baggage car and it's spur sit on what is now private property currently occupied by a gravel and rock supplier. Over the years it's seen it's share of vandals, taggers won't touch it as paint doesn't stick well to rust and it's survived two or three grass fires which are the cause of some of the rust. Mush of the paint along the lower edges is burned off and much of the rubber lines underneath were burned. At present I know of no plans to save it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey,
Very convincing job on the baggage car! Layout night tonight-maybe post some photos tomorrow.
Carl

Thanks. Here's a shot of the prototype in Leesville.

So that's what was odd looking about the model picture.

I couldn't figure it out until you posted those prototype pictures. It's a great modeling job, but it just didn't have an "abandoned" look and I think now it's because it's not sitting in a patch of weeds! :)

My wife and I got rid of the kids for the weekend and stayed in a cabin at Mt. Rainier in Washington state. I saw these in the town of Elbe and had to take some photos. Typical Washington weather.

I don't usually take pitures, but I think this 1 turned out nice enough to post. My photography skill level is low at best.
IMG_0285.jpg

First time attempt.

C&EI recently purchased this yellow & blue Santa Fe GP-9 and has begun the changeover. (Now I hope I can find all the railing I took off.)

ceigp9.jpg

Back