WPF 19 20 21 October

Looking good, John, especially that hill. That will blend the viaduct nicely with the rest of the layout. I like the idea of having a butler to wash my landy but I don't think I'm ever going to have a butler or a landy. :)

Thanks guys! That makes since about AHM/IHC/Rivarossi... I just can't seem to escape that conglomerate. I should mention that it was originally powered and I just pulled the engine out and threw it away because I figured it was trash. I also took out the weights and will use them on future equipment. I think the broken handrails will add to the allure of a RIP track!

Here's a nice view I found of ol' SP 8444:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=63424&nseq=0
Only 1973 and it's already weathered pretty good!

Jeffrey, what road is that engine painted for? I don't recognize the scheme.
The Midland Gulf Railway (MGRy). It's my fictional road.

It still needs more work. Here it is as it stands.

P1010001-18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for a great weekend of seeing your work, completed and in progress. You have all done very well. Guess it's time for me to do a little picture worthy something or 'nother.

John, love the way the viaduct turned out.

MKT 616 C-CDSA: "Uh, Dispatcher?"
Dispatcher: "Go ahead"
MKT 616: "Send the big hook to the three way turnout at south Ft. Worth"
DS:"It's only a two way tunout."
MKT 616: "Not anymore...Our second locomotive got a bit "creative" with the diverging route on the trailing point switch.... it made its own"

MKT 616 C-CDSA: "Uh, Dispatcher?"
Dispatcher: "Go ahead"
MKT 616: "Send the big hook to the three way turnout at south Ft. Worth"
DS:"It's only a two way tunout."
MKT 616: "Not anymore...Our second locomotive got a bit "creative" with the diverging route on the trailing point switch.... it made its own"
:eek: Oh no! A three way turnout where there was a two-way? Surely not!

Been there and done that.

Wow guys, this weekend it amazing, keep up the great work! I got some pics, I'll upload them tonight.

Zephyr, AHM produced some real junk in Yugoslavia before the breakup of the country in 1993. Interestingly, Mehano, which is located in Slovenia, a republic of the old Yugoslavia, was a subcontractor to AHM and produced some of the very worst of all the AHM/IHC/Riv lines. Once Slovenia became a free and capitalist country, Mehano was sold into private hands and now produces some of the finest engines in Europe. My late wife was half Slovenian and we went to Slovenia in 1995. We toured the Mehano plant and it was amazing how much capital was being invested in new technology. They had some of the old machinery out back and it's no wonder they were producing junk under Tito.

Here we go!

GHQ Backhoe, the roof & driver will be painted separately (though he is pictured, sitting in the seat, he is not attached, just trying to keep him from hiding among the tufts of carpet).
View attachment 7545

GHQ material handlers, I'm going to paint them up to be Pettibone tractors. Though they're not exact copies of them, I feel a connection with Pettibone, being made 30 miles from where I grew up. The first tractor is not done, I seem to be missing the roof section, waiting for GHQ to write me back. I have 4, I intend to do two in white & blue, and two in yellow. Two will be on a flat car, and the other two will be working somewhere.
View attachment 7546 View attachment 7547

Just so you get the feel of what I want... Man I didn't realize how banged up that poor RI flat got... Needs a TON of work now...
View attachment 7548

Last one for a great weekend of photos by all. Here, in the waning days of passenger service, the UP "City of Everywhere" pulls into Hillside, let by SDP-35 1402. The days of the real "City" trains are long gone as well as the E units that led real UP passenger trains. This one has a motley collection of head end cars, coaches, and one Pullman. It does have one last remnant of the great days, a Vista-Dome just out of the picture. It will soon pull out of Hillside, Oblivion being the next stop as Amtrak prepares to take over the UP passenger routes. :(

CityofEverywhereMedium.jpg

Nice models, Josh, but you've got some detail painting ahead of you, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how they come out. My cast metal kits never seem to look very good but I'm also not a very good detail painter.

Nice models, Josh, but you've got some detail painting ahead of you, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how they come out. My cast metal kits never seem to look very good but I'm also not a very good detail painter.
You need to pick up some Testors 1/4 fl oz paint bottles, and a #0 brush, its quite simple then. The #0 is soo tiny, its easy to paint headlights & tail lights! Next week I should have them in the paint booth, need to build the other 2.

MGRy (Midland Gulf Railway) 422 is almost finished. There are only a few more details to be added.

shot2.jpg

Here's the same scene in a night shot.

shot1.jpg

Nice work guys. I can't believe 8 pages. Whew!

My work has been pretty mundane. I have 5 turnouts complete for my new layout. I need to build 5 more to lay my track. I was hoping to get it done this weekend, but oh well. The good news is I now have it down to two hours. I thought they would go much quicker.

turnout02.gif

Josh, I've got tiny brushes and tiny bottles. I also have hands that don't seem to make the brush go where I think it's going. :) It's weird, there are times when I get paint right where I want it, like some contrasting color in an intricate building cornice and other times I can't paint a handrail without slopping paint al over. Josh, my boy, none of this was true when I was your age. You have all this to look forward to.:)

Jeffrey, that night shot makes that PA look downright menacing.

Chip, your two hour time would be about four hours for me so you're still doing good. I did handlaid turnouts once, back in the days of jigs and straight pins, I think the first one took 12 manhours. The new system is a lot better but still not easy. OTOH, there's nothing that makes a model railroad look less like a model than handlaid turnouts.

Thanks, everyone, for some great pictures this weekend. I now have many ideas to steal from you all. :)

Great shots everyone. I still havent gotten anything done on the PAL, with a room opening up in the house maybe I can finally get that layout up. I did get my hands on a few HO vehicles at Wally world so maybe I can start weathering them soon.

I do have a question on those handlaid turnouts. Do they work with Dc or is it dcc only? seems to me the soldered frog would create problems with a dead short? how do you go about wiring them? I am seriously thinking about using them on the PAL but need to understand them first

Thanks in advance

I do have a question on those handlaid turnouts. Do they work with Dc or is it dcc only? seems to me the soldered frog would create problems with a dead short? how do you go about wiring them? I am seriously thinking about using them on the PAL but need to understand them first

They are not exactly hand laid, they are from a Fast Tracks Jig. They will work with either DC or DCC. If you have engines with small wheelbases, like I do, you need to power the frogs.

Your observation is astute, but what you cannot see is that there are really thin cuts in the center tracks made by a jeweler's saw between the two ties on the frog side of the frog and between the first and second ties on the point side of the frog.

Back