Wpf 16-12-05

Russian

Saskatoon railfan
Hope you don't mind me staring this weeks seccion!

Now that evil exams are over, Winter break finally begans which means I can get back to modeling! Not much to do outside anyway...
View attachment 2434
It appears that about 1/2 of my rolling stock needs some kind of work done on it, so I started by assembling a repair shop and bringing in "the patients".
View attachment 2431
Mostly coupler replacements and other minor things.
View attachment 2432
You can call me the King of X2F!

But most importantly I build my first interior for the VIA coach. Enjoy!
View attachment 2433

Howdy all! I am new here, you can call me Wyatt.

I model N scale, with the SOO, MILW, CNW being my primary roads.

Here are some shots of locos that I have super detailed. You see SOO 382 in the picture that one has been painted the correct SOO red, decals in the number boards added. Details come from BLMA, Sunrise, and Gold Medal models. You can see the brake line on the front truck, I hand bent that from .010 wire. Also hand bent the re-rail frog holding bracket. The grab irons are from BLMA. I can not say enough about Craig Martyn at BLMA, he has some excellant products.

The unit in the backround is a stock atlas unit, the difference in paint jobs realy sticks out,,, to me anyways,LOL
ajn.sized.jpg

Here is the first loco I added details to and weathered. You cnw fans will notice that the nose bell is missing, as the hoby shop was out of them.
afx.jpg

afy.jpg

This unit was completed in about 7 hours. I worked non stop on it. I think I went to bed at 3am that day,LOL The unit has lift rings, windsheild wipers, MU hoses, plow, coupler lift lever, grab irons, curved grab behind the rear fan, and a sun shade. This is a stock atlas unit, I just added the details to it.

And to close, a action shot, I guess. One set is leaving and the other set of power is heading for the engine facility.
ags.jpg

Adios for now, Wyatt

That's a very nice SOO fleet! I've seen quite a few SOO's back in Winnipeg. Unfortunately they were all on the deadline. I've even had a sad experience of seing one there, then its cab a few month later at the scrap mill.
Neither the elss I've seen SOO 788, SD40-2 (now retired) as a yard switcher and that was very cool. Thus I understand the whole SOO ecitment, especially with the lamp on top of the cab.

Here's SOO 788 to show what I mean!
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=24648&si=788

Hi folks. Here's wishing ya'll a great weekend!

Wyatt, I love your RR! The locos look great (and I though detailing HO locos was a job that required much patience!).

Roman, Cool pics. :cool:

Well, tonight I've been working on our first sound equipped loco! Mr Rex was nice enough to give us a Soundtraxx steam decoder. It's a drop in for the Bachman 2-8-0, but I put it in one of our IHC Connies. It runs and sounds great! Thanks Rex!!!

Steamin by the hobo camp.
122000778.gif

Close up. I know, something has to be done about those bare numberboards... ;)
122000762.jpg

Hi,

I ran a coal train in UP style :D for new customers
The FEF is a Rivarossi model equipped with a brandnew Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder and the Challernger is from Athearn Genesis.

Stefan

up844_3985_2.jpg

I think I commented on the photo, but anyways, Stefan, you gotta love the UP steam! I'm still trying to get ahold of one of each, and the DD40AX & 3 E-9's... Anyone by chance have the LL P2K E8/9 UP #951 & #949? They pop up on eBay once and a while, but every time I see them, I have no monet left over. I've got enough darned bills and stuff I bought recently...

Went over to Rex's layout in T-town yesterday. As usual told some stories, had some coffee did a little work and took some pictures. Finsihed the turnouts I was building for him. What yall think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos guys!

Here are some layout photographs I took earlier (Special thanks to my brother for allowing me to use his digital camera to take these). I apoligize if the shots are too dark or too bright, my regular monitor went down the tubes and I'm using an ancient on off my older computer, it cannot be adjusted, and the screen on it is dark. These are in N Scale.

View attachment 2448

Here's my Life Like GP60 and Atlas GP38.

View attachment 2449

A slightly different version of that shot. The layout is only sceniked in a few areas, and this part is only 25% done.

Well after I pealed the tape back on #9277 I noticed a little bleeding, so I'll have to touch it up a bit, but I seem to get that on every unit, its those doors.
View attachment 2455
Also another update on #801
View attachment 2453View attachment 2454

Also on both you'll see the brass cab interiors, the one resting on the chassis on #9277, and on the background of the shots of #801 you can see its interior waiting too... ;-)

Hope to order the chassis/motor/trucks for #801 soon!!

Roman - looks like you got a nice cozy place to keep yourself occupied in that unforgiving winter weather! BTW that's a great shot of that SOO SD40-2.

Wyatt - nice looking closeups of the locos.:cool: I'm waiting for Dean [lginc] to get a glimpse of your pike, he and Engineerbill are both major CNW fans.

Eric - Dang it Billy Bob, with them searchlight signals, you keep on uppin' the ante every time I think I'm gittin' caught-up to ya as far as havin' a purty layout! Someday...:p :D

Stefan - those MU'd steamers look totally awesome pulling that string of bethgons!

CJ - I wish I had you available to do some turnouts like that my layout, but I can't afford the airfare to bring you up here. BTW is that loco shop foreman chewing-out that worker, or just giving him detailed instructions?:D

Josh, nice work on that Heritage unit! Wish I had the patience to do stuff like that, I'll go to any length to avoid paint jobs that require masking...

Austin, I think those digital pics look perfectly fine, I never would have noticed any problem. They resemble early/late-sunlight views, the type of prototype shots I really like to capture when I'm lucky enough to get 'em!

. . .
If I make enough progress on my ore dock trackage I'll submit pics of that work later on.

CSX_road_slug said:
Eric - Dang it Billy Bob, with them searchlight signals, you keep on uppin' the ante every time I think I'm gittin' caught-up to ya as far as havin' a purty layout! Someday...:p :D

CJ - I wish I had you available to do some turnouts like that my layout, but I can't afford the airfare to bring you up here. BTW is that loco shop foreman chewing-out that worker, or just giving him detailed instructions?:D

Ken, You ain't got nothin ta worry about fer as catchin up. :D

So far, we've only built 4 signals (and one of them is a dummy, LOL). When you only have four, your pic potential with signals is somewhat limited... :D

As for sending CJ on a road trip, the airfare would be the cheap part (unless he opted for a private jet charter). You'll need to consider costs on the five star hotel, $150 bottles of "bubbly", limo rentals, etc. :D

well i havent gotten any thing new done on my layout. so i tooka pic of my display shelf with my whole fleet on it. and yes the shelf is home made :D

Ken, he's getting his backside chewed cause he lost an oil barrel off his handtruck, and now there is oil all over the platform. Of course the worker is defending himself but to no avail. What you don't see is another worker leaning on some barrels watching the whole scene.

As to the limo, 5 star hotel etc. don't bother with that, a plain Mercedes will be fine!!:D:D Afterall, I'm a man of very simple tastes, Mercedes, steak for breakfast, silk shirts.....:p:p

Cjcrescent said:
Ken, he's getting his backside chewed cause he lost an oil barrel off his handtruck, and now there is oil all over the platform. Of course the worker is defending himself but to no avail. What you don't see is another worker leaning on some barrels watching the whole scene.

As to the limo, 5 star hotel etc. don't bother with that, a plain Mercedes will be fine!!:D:D Afterall, I'm a man of very simple tastes, Mercedes, steak for breakfast, silk shirts.....:p:p
$1000 brass steam... oh wait, not talking about trains here right?

jbaakko said:
$1000 brass steam... oh wait, not talking about trains here right?

Josh; Didn't wanna be overly extravagant, but since ya said sumpin', ok Ken how about a couple of the new Ls-2's, Southern Railway 2-8-8-2's:cool: Prescision Scale is coming out with?:D:D Then ya could leave out the Russian cavi..cava..cavia....awwwheck, them fish eggs.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK guys [and Claudia], FWIW here's my contribution: Step-by-step views of my work of 'paving' the ore unloading dock. I needed to get the track at (or slightly below) the surface, like street trackage. Originally I planned to use joint compound, but then I thought - since I had a large amount of leftover roadbed cork - I could use that instead. It would be quicker and a lot less messy. Since the dock track is Code 100, it was almost an exact fit depth-wise.

First, I covered all the track in River Rock gray (same as what I use to model asphalt roads) so I could do a final test of electrical connections BEFORE making the track inaccessable.
ahx.jpg

Next, I needed to cut notches to accommodate the feeder wires and other obstructions, plus the less-than-straight approach of the track onto the dock. Here are the pieces I cut:
ahy.jpg

Using Elmers white glue, I cemented the cork strips to the wood and allowed 3 hours for setting:
ahz.jpg

...and finally, I covered the rest of the cork in River Rock gray (the paint was still wet when this photo was shot, causing it to look 'blotchy' in some areas):
aia.jpg

My primary goal is for the hopper cars to roll freely over the track, so the wide outer gaps make it not look entirely like true 'street' trackage. (Also, I still need to put in the flat center sections to cover the ties.) For now, I just want a flat surface to park my ore bridge on.

Back