wpf 12/21 - 12/27

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
My latest project was to remotor this IHC Alco C628 loco.
P1011919.jpg

That involved removing this small 3-pole motor:
P1011897.jpg

And shoehorning in this larger more powerful 5 pole motor:
P1011899.jpg

That involved cutting a hole in the locos frame so the bottom of the motor cu\ould be lower than the bottom of the motor compartment and make more space for the decoder that will be installed later. Mehano used the old ball and socket universal joints on this model so they connected right up with the Athearn flywheels. I love these old Mehano locos. You can do almost anything to them.

A short video of a test after remotoring:
th_DSCN2750.jpg

I can just hear Dr. Frankendiesel bent over the workbench in the wee hours "Mwa ha ha ha"! (lightning flashing in the background) :p
Karl love that unit and nice job on the pic!
Here's a progress shot on the "Chamber of the Sacred Rails".
Putting the drywall (sheetrock) up over the foam in$ulation.

I can just hear Dr. Frankendiesel bent over the workbench in the wee hours "Mwa ha ha ha"! (lightning flashing in the background) :p
Karl love that unit and nice job on the pic!
Here's a progress shot on the "Chamber of the Sacred Rails".
Putting the drywall (sheetrock) up over the foam in$ulation.

Along with shrieks of " It's Alive!" :D

Chamber is looking good!l When is the "groundbreaking" party??

Jeffrey,
I've been eyeing these 628's for years to try what you've done. Thanks for confirming its possible! Any problem with fitting the shell over the flywheels?
Carl

Jeffrey,
I've been eyeing these 628's for years to try what you've done. Thanks for confirming its possible! Any problem with fitting the shell over the flywheels?
Carl
No problem at all. The motor and flywheels are from an Athearn SW1000. I cut the motor mount attachment points off the bottom of the motor. I cut a hole in the motor well of the C628 for the strip on the bottom of the motor to sit down in. The IHC drive shafts had to be shortened a little by cutting some of the length off the male spline shaft. The shaft couplings connected readily to the universal ball joint in the Athearn flywheels. The motor is held in place by a prodigious amount of hot glue applied from underneath.

My brother is into D&H and was disappointed in the initial runs of the Stewart 628's, in terms of pulling power. I've been toying with the idea of what you've done, ever since. IHC 628's are getting hard to find, from what I've found.

My brother is into D&H and was disappointed in the initial runs of the Stewart 628's, in terms of pulling power. I've been toying with the idea of what you've done, ever since. IHC 628's are getting hard to find, from what I've found.
Yeah, I was lucky to get this one. It was in a box full of donated freight cars. There were four locos among them.

Back