Wpf 11/28 - 12/5

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Hey! What's going on around here? Nobody got the greatest thread of the week going! I want to see what you have been doing, so get busy and do some posting! OK, I'll start even though it is a few days late getting started...
Finally got to spend some quality time down in the train rooms on the SLOW. Been trying to a handle on a scratch built octagon blacksmith's shop I am trying to both figure out how to do it and get it reasonably looking like the prototype. Original was built in 1832 in Alloway, NY from local cobblestone. It is still standing and being used for storage by a local farmer. My version should be something like it probably looked in 1925 which is the date for the Seneca Lake and Ontario RR.

First two walls are just about done. Have a bit of clean up to do on the one with the door, and will need to add the shop sign later after it is assembled. Only non scratch parts are the commercial windows. Everything else on the building will be made by me.

Walls07w_zpscfc414ba.png

Walls08w_zpse1bdc3b6.png

Ray .... You are building a real prize winner.
NYC George ..... Your locomotive terminal looks great!

I recent weeks I have posted shots of my Heartland Division of CB&Q. Here are some photos of the Mrs, Hipp River Bridge.

SD24bridge3.jpg

Zephyronbridgewb1_zpsfb233726.jpg

GNoretrainMHR.jpg

F3Ph4ABBAbridge.jpg

The Mrs. Hippy River Bridge is double track with home made wood ties and hand laid rails. It has multiple spans with a combined length of four feet. The piers and abutments are made from 1/4" plywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, beautiful carving, a lot of nice detail there!

Garry, that's a great bridge; what kind of lighting do you have in the train room?

Otiscnj .... Thanks much for commenting.
Davidllis ... Thanks for asking. Yes, it was in November 2011 trackside photos. The shot was imilar to the one here with SD24's, but it had a mix of SD7's and SD9's.
Adam ... Thanks for commenting. The room has fluorescent lights, and I had regular flood lights shining upward to the ceiling for taking the pictures.

Michael ... I really like how your backdrop blends in to the layout making a realistic photo.

That blacksmith shop looks like an old jail in (IIRC) Belt, MT, back in the 1960's, when I was up there. Great job!

GarryCBQ-- Ya can't fool me. Those are color photos shot of the prototype back in the late 1950's or early 1960's! Seriously, great work. BTW, in over 50 years of model railroading I've never ballasted my trackwork. What color ballast do you use? I can't find any color photos of Q trackage that gives me a good look for ballast, and I'm thinking about starting my "track gang" to work on my main line out of Galesburg.

That blacksmith shop looks like an old jail in (IIRC) Belt, MT, back in the 1960's, when I was up there. Great job!

GarryCBQ-- Ya can't fool me. Those are color photos shot of the prototype back in the late 1950's or early 1960's! Seriously, great work. BTW, in over 50 years of model railroading I've never ballasted my trackwork. What color ballast do you use? I can't find any color photos of Q trackage that gives me a good look for ballast, and I'm thinking about starting my "track gang" to work on my main line out of Galesburg.

Trailrider .... Thanks for commenting. For ballast, I've used an assortment of colors, but most is a blend I make from two Woodland Scenics colors. I out equal amounts of "buff' and "light gray" in a shakers and shake until thoroughly mixed. .....

Back