Wpf 10/14 - 10/20

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Smallest engine in my stable. Dunkirk geared locomotive. Cylinders were in the cab with a gearbox below them and driveshafts to each truck. Built in Dunkirk New York. Kadee 5's are only on for testing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mike: That's an interesting little loco. Brass?

Michael: Good work on your scene there. The loco and cars look good as well though they're a bit cleaner than they would be if I had them.

Grampy: Great as always. I can't even hope to top what you do.

Just been doing some weathering this past week on some Ebay specials.

Tyco UP 40' Hi-cube
P3272287.jpg

Bachmann Santa Fe 50' steel reefer
P3262272.jpg

Bachmann Santa Fe 50' all-door boxcar
P3262273.jpg

Tyco Diamond Chemical tank car
P3262274.jpg

Model Power Cities Service Oil tank car
P3262275.jpg

Still got more to do.

Here's what I've done with the engines I've got from Brad and John so far. They are numbered 8600 and 8700 in the AC&L series. They are great pullers too, can't wait to DCC these beasts! The only changes is the white patch, new road numbers on the long hood, and the radio equipped logo behind the cab from a Western Maryland deisel set. I Also painted the plow and number boards black to receive white numbers.

MKT-1.jpg

Bachmann unlettered 50' depressed center flat
P3272292.jpg

Georgia Northeastern 50' Hi-cube boxcar
P3272289.jpg

Burlington Northern 50' Hi-cube boxcar
P3272291.jpg

Model Power Canadian National 2-bay hopper
P3272293.jpg

Ahhhhhh, the weekend! And... A great start to my favorite thread of the week.

Won't take time to comment on all the great work here, but Motley, I am really liking your scenery!! DJ!!! WOW, another superb scene. I really have to take a trip down to PA one of these days.........

I have gotten back to getting some scenery partially done before my layout is on display next weekend for the local NMRA Division meet. This is an area on Bare Hill not far from the quarry. A couple days ago it looked like this:

QuarryAreaIndustries01w.png

Yesterday it looked like this:

QuarryAreaIndustries03w.png

And just a few minutes ago it now looks like this.... Added a couple coats of diluted plaster (joint compound). That was dry enough to paint tonight. Paint is still wet and I still have a long way to go, but it does look a bit better than bare plywood I think.

QuarryAreaIndustries05w.png

Picked up something a touch smaller than what I normally like today-

GP30-1.jpg

An Atlas BN GP39M #2813, previously BN GP30 #2210, and GN GP30 #3010 before that. This little guy got around! :D Not unlike the model actually, because I think someone had taken advantage of my LHS' fairly open returns policy. It seemed ok when tested in-store, but at home it kept losing power and seemed a touch sluggish. I looked underneath at the pickups and they were fine, but there were a few short hairs behind one of the wheels. I pulled one or two out, but then the last one wouldn't budge so I decided to take off the truck for a better look. Well, last hair my ass! Both axles had a decent amount of what was either a short-haired pet's fur or carpet wrapped around them, and it was inbetween the axle & the pickup blade as well. The other truck was fine so I have no idea what on Earth happened there. :confused: Of course it runs like a dream now that I've cleaned & oiled it. :)

So, apparently I can't buy a single train without something going wrong! :p I have some larger BN friends for him on their way as we speak, which I'll show in this thread as soon as they arrive. :D

Wow, going to be hard to beat some of the work here this week!
Trinity I have some locos that went thru the same process!
Here's a shot of the new ceiling in "The chamber of the sacred rails"
I'm still playing around with light placement...

Mike: That's an interesting little loco. Brass?

Yes Jeffery it is brass. Made by North West Short Line about 1980. The prototypes were built between 1882 and 1894 and available in 3', 42" and standard gauge. The 2 cylinders in the cab were a V shape similar to a Heisler but of course much smaller. Info is scarce on them but research at the time the model was brought out estimates fewer than 50 Dunkirks were built in that 12 year period. This is a model of a 16 ton Dunkirk and was accompanied by a book on the prototypes written by David M. Hoffman, which is where I got this information.

Amazingly this little bugger pulls good for its size even up my 3% grade. Plans are for it to shuttle two or three 26' ore cars around. When I'm in one of my moods I couple it to an 80' New Haven Black Knight coach and run it around out on the main.

I've been working on a photo scene/diorama/display board. I'm about ready to do ballast and ground cover.

MVC-023F-1-1.png

MVC-027F-1-1.png

MVC-026F-1.jpg

MVC-025F-1.jpg

Rotor

I have two GP9's that I'm going to run together. Trouble is one of them has pickup issues. Running wires from one to the other would solve that little problem. I got the GP9's wired together and now the problem unit (Walthers GP9m) runs smooth as silk. The job was easy to do and I took my time at it. The wires are hardly noticeable and even on closer examination closely resemble air or mu lines.

P3282303.jpg

P3282310.jpg

Working on a packing house scene:

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

And some U-50 fun:

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Next time I need to use a real camera. The I-phone camera is OK for snapshots, but lousy for model photography!

Alan, your I phone photos are better than my camera ones!

I broke out the air brush for the first time to add some road grime to the sides of my boxcars. Then I added black chalk to the roof and and a little to the sides. It's not perfect but it looks a lot more realistic than brand new, out of the box. These are Athearn Blue Box so if I ruin them it's okay.:D

BehindFrontstreet046-1.jpg

Back