wpf 1/27 - 2/3 2012

405837_10150743977484377_691829376_12482368_884828305_n.jpg

I love that panel, Roy. I'm still undecided as to whether I want to have a physical control panel or have it done via computer. Computer has its merits as you could make scripts and whatnot to do multiple things at once, but a physical board has the flipping of switches etc that makes it feel like you're running trains as opposed to a program. I have plenty of time to decide of course!

Nothing new in these pictures, but while I had my module outside I took a few more pics.

Here is a pic of one of my flat cars with a dammaged hopper chained down. There was a guy on ebay making these things a few years back, wish I had gotten more, he did a good job!
004.jpg

Next is a set of Atlas Uboats....
005.jpg

and finally.........

One of my prized possessions.... Custom built by Bob Boudreau of St John New Brunswick Canada is an old Walthers kit he custom built into a double track snowplow. For those that dont know, a double track plow is used when there is a double track and you only want to plow the snow to one side while going in one direction, then the car gets turned around and plows to the other side on the return trip.... keeps from throwing snow where you just cleared it. Anyway, had to get a shot of it, it has been locked in its case for ages....LOL Isnt it a great model?!?!?! I think he did a great job, and wanted to share with everyone.
019.jpg

Panel

Pete, my computer sits on my desk right in the middle of my layout. I rearranged some track late last year and need to redo my panel. I figured I'd save some space and create a panel on JMRI. I still have to electronically throw the turnouts. All I'll be using the panel for is throwing switches (once I buy the hardware) and the fast clock. When I do operate it is by myself and sequential, so I don't need anything fancy.

If you understand computereze you'll have no problem getting started. If not, you'll likely need a coach to help out initially. I only know the basics of panelPro and lucked out with a coach from the JMRI forum. I still have a long steep and fun learning curve ahead.

Roy

As always great work shown here!

Nothing very photogenic right now on the SLOW. I did get a chance to add some railbars to the rails and do a bit of rusting of the rails in a few spots, but I'll wait to show that when more is done. I have also decided to start demolition of the SLOW.......... Oh! Just some of the part that is still plywood central! Decided I didn't like what I did and that there is no way to mike it look better. I also have a major bottleneck for when I start having operating sessions. I started with this for a track plan in the new room:

Room2eTopOld.png

Here is what I plan to do with it. The large island in the middle of the room is being removed, and the part against the far wall will be updated to do a better job for me:

Room2TopNew12b.png

Removing the staging area and putting it elsewhere opens up a lot of space in the center of the room for me. Demolition started this afternoon.

Demolition01w.png

Never know what you may find with one of these projects.... Had a visitor who moved into the layout a year ago. He was dispatched to mousey heaven soon after I found his leavings, but some were hidden until today.

LowerStagingDemolition01w.png

Will be vacuumed up tomorrow. Should be done removing the island an a couple days. Staging will go on the wall to the left, and a return loop will be installed as well. Most of the track in this entire half of the layout will be redone with hand laid code 83 trackage.

Not E units. Those are FP7's. They're going through the paint shop now for patching.

Man I really have a difficult time telling those F units apart. Is there a comprehensive guide some where?

For example: I thought these are F3 units but they look just like your FP7.

2012-01-04-%20008%20small%20crop.jpg

That looks like an Athearn F3 A/B set. The FP7 is longer than the other F units to make room for additional equipment. The most obvious thing to look for besides the length is the gap between the front truck and the fuel tank. On the F3 through F9 this gap is about 2 feet. On the FP7 it's about 5 feet.

P1010295.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My humble M.O.W trucks. (I have a Ford F850 boom truck on the way too). The beverage truck is supposed to be a mobile tool shed of some sort, the utility truck is for signal maintenance and the two buses I'm still working on, haven't even detailed the grey one yet.

mow-1.jpg

Finished these a few months ago.

the 1947 chevrolet truck is a Sylvan resin kit, and the Fruehauf aerovan trailer is a Sunshine Models Resin Kit!!

Fun Build but Decaling the trailer was very tough each letter was first apllied to a piece of .005" styrene then cut out and glued on the side of the trailer!!

100_1804.jpg

100_1898.jpg

100_1899.jpg

That looks like an Athearn F3 A/B set. The FP7 is longer than the other F units to make room for additional equipment. The most obvious thing to look for besides the length is the gap between the front truck and the fuel tank. On the F3 through F9 this gap is about 2 feet. On the FP7 it's about 5 feet.

Life-Like made in China actually but I see what you mean. How much variation do you see between manufacturers of the same model? Does the Athearn F3 for instance look exactly the same as these?

There are small variations between the Life-Like and Athearn F3's but I would have to have them side by side to see what they are. Case in point, I have three F3's right here on my layout in a permanent three loco consist. The lead unit has a Stewart F3-A body, next has a Varney F3-B body and the third has a Proto F3-B body. They're all similar but also different.

Stewart
P1010315.jpg

Varney
P1010316.jpg

Proto
P1010317.jpg

Finished these a few months ago.

the 1947 chevrolet truck is a Sylvan resin kit, and the Fruehauf aerovan trailer is a Sunshine Models Resin Kit!!

Fun Build but Decaling the trailer was very tough each letter was first apllied to a piece of .005" styrene then cut out and glued on the side of the trailer!!

100_1804.jpg

100_1898.jpg

100_1899.jpg

I hope you're modelling Ohio! :D Did the decals come with that kit?

Back