Wow! Ya'll Gotta See This (Photography Related)

Okay, here's my try, I did this real quick just to see what it does. WOW!!!

I even ran this in emulator mode on my Mac :)

I can see buying this puppy.

Great pic Dave!:cool: How many exposures did you take?

Has anyone bought the software yet? I need to find out how much it's gonna set me back.

I did 5, I didn't read the instructions, so maybe tomorrow, it's supposed to be sunny around here, I can take some actual pictures and do it right.

It is one amazing piece of software. I didn't bother to see how much it was, hmmm, now another exspense;) But one well worth it.

Here's a shot that used the software used in N Scale Railroading

NAN-NSR0601.jpg

It looks like the basic version (the one we're using) is $29.95/yr or $115 unlimited. That's alot cheaper than a new camera.

Hmmm, $115.00 isn't bad. Even just 29 a year is good, you know that others will be creating a similar application. I wish there was one for the Mac.

If I was evil :eek: I would P2P it, but it deserves support. I am sold.

grande man said:
That's alot cheaper than a new camera.

What I have seen of the shots I don't think having a more expensive camera would improve on any of the pictures. It is hard to believe some of those are N-scale.

Harold

Well I did some more playing, one thing is you definately notice your own bad modeling :)

I did some searching on this type of software, and it seems to be something that the biomedical industry has been using for years, for use with microscopes and such. The Helico is probably the best for the money and ease of use. I am re-energized for photography. I can also see this being excellent for those that want to take landscape pictures for backdrops, getting that distant horizon in focus all the way to the weeds in front of your shot.

Thanks Eric for bringing this up. I hope others will partake in the software, I think we will see some even better model photos.

Here are 4 picts I played with today.

Hmmm, there might even be some benefit for ME (as an owner of a digital SLR camera) to start using this software.:)

My Canon Digital Rebel is supposed to automatically calculate aperture/shutter settings when I choose two focal points, one near and one farther away. But oftentimes it's like a roll of the dice; the points I think I'm choosing are not the ones that the camera actually chose. So some of my shots still come out fuzzy at the edges. I'm thinking that I could turn off autofocusing and run however many instances of the same image thru the software, just as some of you point n' shooters have done...?

I just played with the software a bit. If you want to take great model photos, download this product and try it. I didn't have much time to mess with it but it is great. Even with only a three picture merge it exceeded what I wanted.

Just a thought
Harold

I am having too much fun with this application. I am going to try an experiment tomorrow, I can actually plug my camera into my computer, and use the monitor as the LCD display to focus with, which should allow a much more precise focus for each area you photograph.

So while out railfanning today, I noticed that the WPG Proper Job had put an NP Hi-Cube box car on the ground. They wouldn't let me get to close so I had to use the telephoto to get some decent shots. :cool:

I'm glad everyone likes the program. I can't help but think it will change model RR pics for good.

The pics really do look good. I think the reason the improvement in a pic's realism is so profound is because, in the real world, the eye focuses so quickly when we look from a close object to a distant one. You get the same effect when looking Helicon focused pics.

Here is my attempt.

end_view.JPG

Excuse the mess we are under construction.

This stuff really works. Definitely need a jump in modeling.

Just a thought
Harold

This is addictive. It really makes closeups jump out. All the details become clear.

hi_def_pond.jpg

Here is my old shot

balloon_pond_logo.jpg

Harold

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure is addictive, it really brings out the detail on a persons layout, sometimes too well ;)

Decisions, Decisions

Should I buy the Helicon Lite or Pro?
What's the difference (for our application)?

I'm still trying to learn it! Doesn't seem to work well on single shots, lol. Maybe i can figure out how in the heck to forus my camera manualy.

I too had problems manual focusing on seperate "layers". I found that if I focused once on a center object and then "unfocused" the camera moving away from the object toward the camera. I then incementally took pictures adjusting the picture back to the original focus point and beyond. I then loaded the pictures on the computer and deleted the out of focus pictures. The in focus pictures were then loaded into the Helicon software. I have had success with this method.

That is how I did both of my pictures.

Just a thought
Harold

Back