Wouldn't this be possible? Remote Dispatching.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
With our recent focus on operations, I've got a new idea. For some folks, it's tough to get operating partners for their RR. Not being a computer guy, I wonder how tough it would be to come up with software that would put a CTC type display in front of a remote dispatcher via the web. Train crews would have to enter their progress unless a PC was connected to a RR with transponding capability. I can foresee the dispatcher controlling turnouts, signals, etc just like the real thing! I can't help but think that this would be easy to do nowadays. With online forums, model railroaders have many online friends that would probably love to dispatch in an actual operating session. Someone could possibly make some $$$ writing such a program. What do ya'll think? :)

One more thought. Virtual interchange partners could dispatch each others RR using such a program. That would be cool. :cool:

This has been done on a few layouts regularly. I know of examples using CTC, track warrants, and DTC.

DCC transponding is not necessary, though detection of some sort would be for CTC.

I've operated with Kent Williams, whose regular dispatcher is 600 miles away and linked by virtual CTC and Voice-over-Internet. Our biggest troubles at the session I attended were with the voice, not the virtual CTC link.
http://www.ownry.com/html/news_c_photos.html

One guess who the dorky guy is working the Seattle yard

Byron

Wow, that's some cool stuff! Thanks for all your help on the operations questions I've had, Byron. I'm sure I'll need more answers soon. ;)

So with a remote dispatcher for your session, they just might be the Omaha Sub Dispatcher ;) in Omaha

Too Cool.

grande man said:
Wow, that's some cool stuff! Thanks for all your help on the operations questions I've had, Byron. I'm sure I'll need more answers soon. ;)

Glad to be able to help in some small way ... I'm always happy to encourage more operating layouts!

I'd like to see someone (like Digitrax maybe, for use with their system ;) ) offer a dispatching program for sale. The RR owner could buy it, set up his personal RR, and then email it with instructions to dispatchers. I'm sure the email/proprietary program stuff would present some issues. Maybe the software could be unlocked with a code that only the purchaser has, or something to that effect. I'm in way over my head discussing the technicalities of such a plan, but it would be a very neat MR advancement.

Actually I think KAM has something along those lines, but from what I understand, they have filed some lawsuits against some people for Patent infringements, I read this over at TheRailwire.com, seems that any system that uses a TCP/IP connection to communicate with a model railroad is stealing their intellecual(sp) property rights. Which is a joke as the patent is pretty genaric in it's application.

Sorry for getting all technical on this, just that this sounds real close to what you are describing. With that lawsuit unsettled, I doubt that any DCC company will want to attempt anything as of yet.

Here is the link to what I read

http://therailwire.net/smf/index.php?topic=7832.0

This same type of crap has happened in the web business, one was over shopping cart applications, which is ongoing, another is on streaming, and the best is someone tried to claim they owned the patent on HTML and hyperlinks, I think that got thrown out :)

i am going to let you guys figure out this operations thing

and grande man when you do ill email all my stuff and you can start on mine :D lol j/k

emt49 said:
i am going to let you guys figure out this operations thing

and grande man when you do ill email all my stuff and you can start on mine :D lol j/k

Model Railroader™ has a PDF download, you have to buy it, that is pretty good and expains it pretty well emt49, I have a copy ;)

I think once you start doing operations on your layout, be it switchlist, car cards w/waybills, timetables, track warrants etc, it just takes the hobby of model railroading to a whole new level.

If you are an EMT/Fire personel, you can easily figure out the operations end.

well i still have alot of work to go on my layout befor i get to that part of the hobby. i need to finish the industral switching part of the layout and buld the staging yards .but i may have a move comming up so i am toying with. A.moveing the layout because no scenarey is started yet

or

B. takeing it all down and buldeing a new layout with diffrent track plan and bench work

and yes i am a EMT i have been for 10 years :D and was a volly firefighter for 7 years but my job just got to demanding and i don't have time anymore.

i use model railroading to let out some stress form my job as a EMT and dispatcher

I got a message on the Ops list the other day, there is a guy that makes a software system, that let's you run a train over the Internet, you actually drive and ride in the cab, he has some video on his siye showing it, looks interesting, while the picture quality is poor, I say it's a good start in the direction you are thinking Eric. And when you do get the remote dispatching going, put me on the call list ;)

dthurman said:
I got a message on the Ops list the other day, there is a guy that makes a software system, that let's you run a train over the Internet, you actually drive and ride in the cab, he has some video on his siye showing it, looks interesting, while the picture quality is poor, I say it's a good start in the direction you are thinking Eric. And when you do get the remote dispatching going, put me on the call list ;)

Does anyone know if the Panel Pro portion of JMRI has any potential for remote dispatching? Ray (cprman) was telling me a little about it today. He say's a CTC board of a layout can be entered into the program. It sounds like it wouldn't be too much of a jump to incorporate a web function to allow remote use. Is anyone familiar with Panel Pro? I'd like to learn more about it.

If we ever did get a remote dispatch capability, I'll put you at the top of the call list... ;)

Back