Would love to know what my train is worth

Sambailey

image.jpg

Except this is American Flyer.
Which begs the question: Isn't that three rail track in the box? Flyer used two rail track. Also, there is a pic of this set in the 1954 Flyer catalog, but the box says Happy Time, no Gilbert logo, though the loco, cars and transformer are clearly Flyer. Knowing which set number you have and if it is complete will go a long way towards establishing value. Disclaimer: I'm not a toy train expert, and have no interest in this item, I just looked it over and did a quick google search on Flyer sets cataloged in the 1954-1957 timeframe.

Which begs the question: Isn't that three rail track in the box? Flyer used two rail track. Also, there is a pic of this set in the 1954 Flyer catalog, but the box says Happy Time, no Gilbert logo, though the loco, cars and transformer are clearly Flyer.
I think you are right on all counts. I only see two pieces of American Flyer track in that box. AND my first thought at the box was Marx, but then I saw the train and it blinded me to the rest.

The transformer box has A.C. Gilbert stamped on it.
When I first looked - I noticed that one piece of Lionel track right off, but now notice that there are many there.
It is a nice looking passenger set, I think?

It wouldn't be the first time things got boxed up by parents or relatives and got put in the wrong boxes. I see it often with brass collections. It is a nice passenger set and has what I call the "well loved" look. Lots of play wear. The best thing to do is look at e-bay and see what similar items are selling for. Whether you happen to like e-bay or not, it still brings the largest number of buyers and sellers together and is a reasonable source of information for what that market is doing. I see nothing particularly rare here. Most Flyer that brings big money is prewar in original boxes, or accessories that are hard to find, or items in mint or mint-ish condition. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say somewhere between $100-200.00 for the lot, if the engine runs, the transformer works, the cars have all the wheels, and the couplers work. Again, this is only my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it. ;)

Back