Working with brass (progress pics)

I am presently putting together a security fence around a small container facility. I am using a rosin core solder and a home depot I am using a 30W-130W boost Weller gun and .032 Radio Shack electronics solder. Everything else is in the photo below. The #11 knife is just for scale.

I really don't have any experience doing the type of large section soldering that you are attempting, but I would suspect that the area is not getting enough heat only because it appears that the solder is not getting a chance to spread out before it cools down.

I usually apply a small amount of flux down the entire section that I am soldering and lay the iron right into it. It bubbles a little and I then lay the thin solder right onto the tip and draw it down to the joint. It appears that you are attempting to fill in the gaps like a weld in which case, you may have to fill in and grind down. However the smaller support pieces that make up the center of each section shouldn't need as much solder as shown in the picture. You may want to try a smaller point on your gun for the internal supports

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0080-1.png

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

What length spacing did you use between posts here?

Chris,

The spacing is 1 3/8 inches. I measured the security fence where I work and the verticle posts were at or near 12 feet. I used a formula by Lance Mindheim which where the normal footage is multiplied by .138 to get HO footage. This formula comes from his website I believe under his "News and Help" Photo Wallpaper section. I need to complete the sliding gates for each opening, once again based upon the gates where I work.

Larry

www.lancemindheim.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry, your chain link fence came out great. I've used tulle for chain link also but have had a heck of a time keeping it taut. How did you do yours?

Rub, I'm the world's worst solderer, so your work looks great to me. I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it's done and painted.

Larry, your chain link fence came out great. I've used tulle for chain link also but have had a heck of a time keeping it taut. How did you do yours?

Rub, I'm the world's worst solderer, so your work looks great to me. I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it's done and painted.

Jim,

I followed Kurts photos on the link below to do my fence. Kurt notches his verticle posts, but that is not necessary.

I used a thin super glue and did two horizontal sections (upper and lower brass supports) at a time following Kurts instructions. Once they cured (about 20 seconds) I moved on two the next two sections. The tulle is not glued to the verticle supports but only to the upper and horizontal brass. Please see Kurts photos for visual support (pages 16 and 17).

The best way to solder brass is to make sure that all the supports are taped to the template. Nothing moves and soldering is way too easy. Kurts layout is a version of Lance Mindheims "East Rail" layout based on a prototypical rail spur in Miami.

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&hilit=kurt&start=300

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
i personally use a weller iron. i do have a butane iron also i only paid 20 for it at wallmart when it was in clearance. i also dont use flux for me i think there is plenty in the solder.
i like working with brass but my downfall is i dont use jigs. so my fingers burn. since i am a mechanc i has tuff skin so it doesnt burn right away lol. i would love to see the finished crane and what scale is it

It's HO scale.

I'm not using a jig either. I have three "nice" burns on my hand to show for it too. :eek:

Will be a while before I finish it. I started to put the end piece together. I'm not satisfied with how it turned out. I have to start over. Not to mention it took eight hours! I had a real hard time because the pieces are at a compound angle. Not sure if I could even make a jig to help me on this one. It frustrated the hell out of me... so it's a good time to take a break. I have other things to keep me busy.

your going for a crane right. cranes are definately one of my favorite things i have always been wanting to build one just never figured out what to build it with. tried legos not strong enough. tried an erector set i dont have enough pieces plus it gets really heavy and flimsy lol and it dont look right. but i will definately try brass. EVENTUALY. lol. i would like to see lots a pics and in one of ur next pics could you put a ruler next to it.
better yet set it on a flat car lol

keep up the good work

No, I am not doing the whole crane. Just the end of the boom. About 60' in HO scale.

When I'm finished it will be a flat car load.

Well,

It's been a super busy summer. Have'nt had much time to work on the Jib.

Started on it again the other day. Will post the final pics in a few days.

Back