Working on getting a new camera.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I'm looking at getting a Fuji S1--its a 3.2 MP Digital SLR. If the deal goes through, I'll get the camera body for $300 and a 24-120mm auto zoom F3.5 Nikon lense for $150. The best part it that it will be a trade for vitamins.

[Fingers crossed]

Wow! That should take care of you. That lens will give you from wide angle to a very good distance zoom. When I had my Canon SLR 35mm, I used my 100mm lens for portrait type photos. It's great for putting the background out of focus with the close subject still in focus. I'll bet your forefinger is starting to twitch thinking about it. Hope you get it and get back to some serious photo shooting.

Back when I had a real camera--wait a minute I still have it. My favorite lense is/was a 28-105mm zoom. Pretty much used it for everything. It will be nice to among other things, control f-stops and focus if I want.

Though I went digital a year or so ago, I was able to convince CFO that I needed a Digital SLR to replace the old Nikon stuff. She acquiesced (fancy word for gave in) and I got a Nikon D50 for Christmas. Came with an 18-55mm lense. All my old Nikkors fit it but the 50-300 (30+ years old) is too heavy. I will more than likely trade the old stuff in and get a new 50-300 as that is my lense of choice. I'm still trying to figure the new camera out as the number of bells & whistles is staggering.

Why did I go SLR? Picture quality. I found the zoom feature on the Canon A-100 really cheap and low quality and any landscape pictures that I took degraded when I "blew" them up.

All I can say I'm really happy with the camera as if I get back to the Arctic this summer I'll be getting far better pictures then last year. I've also found tthe quality of the labs when it comes to processing print film has really gone down hill the last few years.

Fergie

DSLR's are better than point and shoot digital cameras with the same megapixel count because their sensors are 3-4 times larger. I was sort of puzzled when I got a Canon Digital Elph S500 with 5MP, and compared the images from my Canon Digital Rebel at 6MP. The Rebel images were much better, more than I would have expected. Then I found out about the sensor size, and it all became clear. It seems there are dozens of 5-7 MP point and shoot cameras out there now, with more coming in all the time. But they are not equal to DLSRs.

Back