Work Train

Was out and about today railfanning the layout and caught this work train..Unusual power for such a short train..The reason is, 8238 was released from the shops the other day and to keep an eye on it till they are for sure about the repairs, it drew this assignment to keep it close to the shops..

Was out and about today railfanning the layout and caught this work train..Unusual power for such a short train..The reason is, 8238 was released from the shops the other day and to keep an eye on it till they are for sure about the repairs, it drew this assignment to keep it close to the shops..

The cat on the flat car. When I was an engineer for the PC I was called for a tie unloading work train. It was a cat on a flat car coupled to a gondola full of ties. The cat was just like the one in your photo except it had wheels and it's out riggers were positioned over the sides of the flat car. I told the work train forman I wasn't taking the train until he tied down the cat. He said, "I worried to much and nothing was going to happen". He said, I'll take full reasonability if some thing should happen. They sent us out by way of the middle track through North White Plains station and because the platform was on both sides of the train the out riggers hit the platform and sent the cat on to the platform and then crashing down on 700 volt third rail. Only because it was 9:00 am were no people on the platform hurt. The work train forman's face did turn white though. So lets get some tie down straps on that cat.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
You worry to much George! I'll take full responsibility. ;) :D
Just kidding George, between being all thumbs and poor eyesight, I'll have to settle on hopeing that cat on the flat will stay where its at.

Nice shots, but its starting to sound like Dr. Suess on this thread.

Would have been a good title for a childs book though, "The Cat On The Flat"

Back