WoooHooo, Stewart FT's!

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Well, we just won an ebay auction for an A/B set of Stewart FT's. These have the Buhler drive. I've heard good things about Stewart. Are they true?

They were actually traded back to EMD for GP30/35's on the real Grande, so we'll be using a bit of that "modeler's license" in running the three types together.;) For our purposes, there was a shortage of power on the Sub and a few FT's escaped the trade in until a later date...:) They were just to gorgious to pass up!

The A unit is, of course, powered but the B is a dummy. We're planning for it to be the Platte Canyon Sub's first sound unit! I can hear the sounds and see the Mars light right now...

1129076902382_Rio_Grande_FT_a.jpg

I paid more than I wanted to. :) Got em for $85. I think they go for about $129 most places. Does that sound about right?

I highly recommend Stewart engines (I'm just a tad partial...click the link in my sig :rolleyes: ). They do run quite well--strong pull, quiet and smooth operation, great quality. I've sold quite a few powered B units on eBay as well and I hope to get that auction started again soon.

Your price seems to be about average for an item sold by an individual. Most dealers have them priced higher, but you also get the support of the dealer should you have any problems. The engines most dealers have are also newer and have the Stewart drive instead of the Kato or Buhler drives; from what I've read here and elsewhere the Stewart drive matches or exceeds the quality of its predecessors.

I certainly think you'll enjoy your new equipment :) I can't wait to see it in action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! GM a nice looking set of diesels for sure. As for the Stewarts I have a friend who is changing his whole fleet to Stewart he is that satisfied with the few he has. To be happy you have to use the "modeler's license" ;)

13.gif
Willis

Those Stewarts are GREAT runners. My F7 with the Buhler motor, on DC, would coast a good 20 feet from full throttle, AND keep the LED headlight lit while doing so!

Detail Associates (or is it Details West? always mix them up) sells a handy dress-up kit with all the grabs and handrails for them. Once of these days I'll get around to drilling all those little holes and installing them. Projects, projects, I have too many projects.

--Randy

rrinker said:
Detail Associates (or is it Details West? always mix them up) sells a handy dress-up kit with all the grabs and handrails for them. Once of these days I'll get around to drilling all those little holes and installing them. Projects, projects, I have too many projects.

--Randy
Cal Scale (Bowser/Stewart) just released a detail kit as well. It looks great! Info here: http://www.bowser-trains.com/New_Products/new__calscale.htm

Well, they finally showed up today! They look great! We haven't run them yet but that's fixing to change... :D

Well, they've had the handrails added, been weathered, the B unit is weighted, and a Digitrax decoder is installed. All that's left to do is add some windshield wipers and the road number to the side panels.

114352930.jpg

Back