Woody & Son Railroad (WSR)

Because I suggested trying some of the translucent silicone, I thought I'd better do some research on the different types for cross compatibility i.e. whether they'll stick to each other or/and are paintable.

I know from past building experience that most silicone ones, paint won't adhere. There are some that are called paintable, but must be painted within a short time to hold. From what I see, the crystal clears are what's called co-polymers, Lowes had DAP Sidewinder brand advertised. 3M brand had 2, #730 and #230, the website said they would supply free samples of each by calling 1-800-362-3550 (definitely the right price). Selleys, as far as I could see were the only brand offering both crystal clear (Selleys All Clear) and translucent (Selleys Wet Seal).

All the co-polymers stated paintable, but it will be worth checking if there is a time limit between initial curing and painting/coloring time.

Thanks for the info. I put some crystal clear and clear (slight white tint) on wax paper to dry. I'll see how it looks and also add some pigment to see how it looks.

Haven't updated in a while. Building slowed down for a while but back at it. Here is a few pics. We are still going strong and having a blast.

e8eaa33e6f40b97cfa8997c82b3cc75b.jpg
be685c3305b2c5f0290b0d4b1b6076ed.jpg
91df0ff091449ee7b233472f4ab64fd7.jpg
94591e4ed5f86cde04b1bfd82adc67fb.jpg
c65061b958a19d06ec1644dd6860c14e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. He is having tons of fun and that is what's about for us. He has his fun and I get to do some of the things I want.

One thing you can guarantee, the memories he will have of that layout and how you built it together will be indelible.

Help with layout of structures

Hey guys, I need some advice to finish an few areas. Any input would be appreciated. I am up for moving everything except for the silos. I am attaching photos below.
Overall view of this side of layout.
IMG_6854.jpg

Below, Need to layout both sides of the road. Thinking about possible business building

IMG_6855.jpg

Below, need ideas where houses are or keep
IMG_6857.jpg

Below, need ideas on both sides of the road. My sons wants to create an abandon track where thee old Amtrak beside the track is. The area between the silo and Amtrak passenger cars wanting a Amtrak station. The houses and parking can move.
IMG_6859.jpg

I am up for moving everything except for the silos.
Given that. I think I would try to:
1. Move the station to the other side of the tracks replacing the white ranch house. Make parking lot accordingly off the other road. (yellow arrow)
2. Add some other structures to support the silos like a feed & seed store, COOP elevator or the like. (pink box)
3. Move the houses around the corner and cuddle them up. Some houses left over from the 1930s had only 3-4 feet between them. (red arrows)
4. On the other side of the road from the new station location add a set of down town type store front buildings - something like Walther's Merchant's Row, Merchant's Row II, III or IV. (blue boxes)
5. Add an alley to service the stores. Railroad right-of-ways are often backed by such stores. (black line)
6. for the abandon track that isn't a bad idea. Weed over grown track that used to service the grain silo's industry. OR you could connect a live track there and have one more industry for the railroad to spot a box or covered hopper on.
7. Cant tell if that building next to the station parking lot is a house or not. I would make it a smaller house and put a small business next to it that would be something that logically would be near a grain silo type industry.
8. Maybe even put another house where the wrecked Santa Fe loco is.

I think all these together would give a more cohesive image of a small town on this end of the layout.

WoodynSon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks IronHorse. I like the ideas. Just curious, would you move the silos to another location?

Thanks. I can't really see another place to put them. Really like your input on the other stuff.

Below: I have moved the houses and placed the red building (current station) on this side and will place a parking lot either to the left or right. I'll have to order buildings for the side of the road closest to tracks. I plan on purchasing an Amtrak station since he is a big Amtrak fan.

IMG_6868.jpg

Below: Removed the large brown house and moved the houses closer to the end. I'm thinking adding another house or two. My 7 year old says the train wreck has to stay...lol, but I'm with you and would rather have a house there.
IMG_6869.jpg

Below: Moved the station to other side of Amtrak and removed large brown house. This should allow more room for a building that works more with the silos and another building for industry. I also moved the abandon track with the hopper on it to the left. This would allow me to add another live track turnout to put in front of the silos and take up some void space in the middle, plus gives me more track to store cars on.
IMG_6871.jpg

Are either of these sets similar to the buildings you were referring to for the area across the road from the train station?
IMG_6872.jpg

I think the buildings to the left are DPM and the right buildings are Walters

I have placed the red building (current station) on this side and will place a parking lot either to the left or right.
Wow it is a whole lot bigger than it looked in the photos. I didn't expect it to fill the space so, so, umm so much.

Are either of these sets similar to the buildings you were referring to for the area across the road from the train station?
Yes, very similar to those. Are those on the other side of the layout? If so, sorry I didn't notice that. Edit -oh yeah. Looking back through the thread I see them now.... Well, I guess my suggestion sort of makes both sides look "the same". sigh.

Especially notice the buildings to the far left, facing away from the tracks. I believe the buildings facing the road behind the station are Walthers Merchants row I. My children used parallel parking to save road space since the module could only be 23" deep.
citymodule.jpg

Back