Woodland Scenics Just Plug failures ???

StevieWonder787

I was trying to install a Woodland Scenics Just Plug system for my passenger depot with interior lights and street lights for the platform.

All of my parts are factory Woodland Scenics parts including the 24VDC (why?) power supply. I tested the receiving plug pins and got 23.6VDC on all the receiver plugs on both the Light Hub and Expansion Hub.

BUT ... when power was applied to the LEDS, all but one of the LEDs gave a single bright flash and then were toast. The one that didn't blow up is very very dim.

I gambled and hooked up a Just Plug car. Works great. Headlights and taillights are perfect. But the street and interior lights were gone within a literal flash.

I'm reaching out to Woodland Scenics as I have a good bit of money tied up in all this and have a couple of Woodland Scenics buildings that I'm afraid to hook up.

Anybody have any experience with the Just Plug system and/or these kinds of issues? What about their customer service?

Thanks in advance.

I know nothing about this but went to looking to see what it is all about.

One thing I did see was the bulbs have to be plugged into a lighting hub. Lighting hubs can be plugged into and expansion hub. Bulbs plugged into expansion hubs will blow.

Again dont know what I am talking about but maybe that helps.

I searched "just plug woodland scenics lights blow"

That's correct. I plugged into the lighting hub and then tried an expansion hub. Both showed 23.6 VDC across the pins on all of the receiver plugs which is where the lights plug into. Supposed to be plug and play.

I'm kind of thinking there was an issue with the resistors which are wired in at the factory. The cars work and use the same plugs as the lighting found on the light hub and expansion hub. It's the only thing I can think of. The "FLASH" was bright and lasted an instant and then the lights were dead no matter where they were plugged. The hubs still showed 23.6 VDC after the lights "blew up", so I don't think it was a power source issue.

I have used Woodland Scenics "Just Plug It" system and have not had any problems with either the street lights, pole lights or vehicles.

The output of the transformer is correct at approximately 24 VDC. If its just one Lighting Hub it could be the problem and be defective. Did you check the output at the lighting Hub?

It would be highly uncommon to have two types of products, the interior and streets light to both be defective, so that takes me back to the Light Hub as being defective.

Woodland Scenic's customer service has been great in answering my questions.

Keep us posted.

Greg

Yes, I checked all the pins in each of the ports (receiver plugs) on the Lighting Hub and got 23.6VDC.
I did talk to the folks at Woodland Scenics. They were very quick in their response. They did tell me that there are resistors in both the hub itself and in the wires of each lighted item. They want me to send all the stuff back to them but tell me that the retailer will have to issue any refund or exchange. I did contact the retailer and they, of course, told me that I need to contact Woodland Scenics for refund/exchange. That's not terribly practical and I'm looking at hours of work and probably a couple of weeks minimum to check it out.

I'm pretty deep into this so with the vehicles, buildings, etc so I'm going to get a new hub and replacement street lamps and interior lights and see what happens. I strongly suspect that you are correct that the Lighting Hub is defective with resistor issues.

I'll keep you posted on the results once the new Lighting Hub shows up.

Back