Woodland Scenics Foam Track-bed or Cork track bed

dmiller

Building a plywood "cookie cutter " layout with risers for elevations. I am using latex caulk to to adhere both track and roadbed to the plywood strips .

Do you prefer Woodland Scenics Foam Track-bed or Cork? I am thinking cork better as I would be better able to smooth transitions between plywood.
Does the foam track-bed workout small imperfections between plywood joints ?
Could I use Spackle joint compound to help smooth out some joints on the plywood joints before applying foam track-bed?

Thank you !!

Give this guy a try - excellent product!

EVA-38

Its a lot cheaper if buy direct and cut your own . 6mm black is $11 a roll 24"X50" . you use a circular knife to cut it. 1.5" wide strips gives around 70ft to the roll which is about 1/3 the cost of cork?

I got mine here www.tntcosplaysupply.com They have it various thicknesses. They sell sheets up to 39 X 78.

I have purchased from these guys twice with no issues.

Last edited:
I prefer cork to foam. My biggest issue with foam is it's compressablility. If you use track nails, avoid foam. If your glueing all the track, you'd proably okay.

I prefer cock over foam and used some foam as an experiment in one small section of the layout.

Agreeing with KB02 the foam is much more compress-able and the cork will hold nails much better. If the joints between pieces of plywood are fairly close and plywood of the same size dimensions, I don't see any reason to use any joint compound to smooth the transition cracks if they are small in size. In time the joint compound will crack anyway.

The only advantage to using joint compoiund to close the gaps in the plywood is to help hold ballast in place while the ballast glue dries.

Stick with cork and you'll be happy with the results.

Greg

Back