Wooden trestle

Hawkesburytrain

I need help in finding plans on building a wooden trestle from scratch.
It's a 26" length with a 28" radius and a depth of 15".

Does anyone that have build one still have the plans?
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you have to build the trestle upside down on a flat surface. You build the deck first, with straight segments of stringers that are angled to each other to fashion the correct radius. Then, with the deck upside down, but also supported at one end to approximate the grade, you glue bent frames upside down to the nether surface of the stringer deck...the one facing up. Except you glue the bents plumb...vertically.

I'll see if I can't find the plan I had years ago when I built mine and I'll post the link if the site is still up.

I can't find the site I used, I think it disappeared four or more years ago. However, the late Wolfgang Dudler's site is still up, and he does a creditable job of curving a trestle deck with angled stringers using blocking spacers. Scroll down and you can click on the images.

http://www.westportterminal.de/trestle.html

Here's mine, from above:

IMG_1181finalsharpres.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You might look at the pictures that Mel (hirailer) posted recently in the Coffee Shop, of the one that he built. While larger than the one that you envision, you could get some ideas. Finished pictures are in Coffee Shop LVIII, and under construction ones are in Coffee Shop LVII, and maybe some earlier.

Willie

Finished%20Bridge_zpsqxmev4y3.png

This bridge took about two days to assemble and cut into the layout. The uprights are closer together to support the heavier mainline activity.

Thank you Ken and Ken

Ken (D&J) nice trestle
Do you have some sort of plan with measurements?
I'd like to know about spacing between pillars, angle of uprights, etc etc
That is why I'm looking for plans
Thanks

Lloyd , you can look back through Lynn B's build thread. He posted his bent plan for me . I used his basic bent design and if you look at my build thread ( in my sig ) you can see how my trestle turned out . It is approx. the same height and radius as what you are looking to build except that mine is longer and actually turns back on itself . I detailed building it so it should be real easy to follow what steps I took .

Lloyd, I have a PDF on trestle plans file, but it exceeds the permissible upload. If you will PM me your email adddress ... I will send it to you.

I didn't use any specific set of plans other than what looked right. I just measured the span that I had to fill then evenly spaced the uprights. I built the whole thing at the work desk, upside down to be sure the top deck was perfectly flat. When I installed it in the gap, I had the scenery basically sculpted for the trestle to fill then just built the rest of it up to the bottom of the uprights with plaster.
The following pictures are from the start to finish.
1009151636a_zpslsfxlepd.png

IMG_6857_zps5htd4vrr.png

IMG_6858_zps6s9ztrf9.png

IMG_6862_zpsqk25db4r.png

IMG_6864_zpsn2jnaird.png

IMG_6865_zpsyixbgpza.png

IMG_6868_zps44zuqfkz.png

IMG_6870_zpsgdfcjxlk.png

IMG_6871_zpsswn4guqn.png

Very interesting thread and very useful as i am also considering building a trestle for a static diorama (hopefully i can merge it to a layout in the future), thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

Ken, thanks a million for the step by step pictures, impressive work!

Crandell (Selector), very inspiring photo / scene!!! I hope to be able to incorporate/build something similar in my future layout. By the way (OT) do you model the ATSF?

Yannis, no, I collect locomotives from seven different roads, and the ATSF is one of them. I'm not what many would call a modeler at all, strictly. Maybe free/proto/lance? I cobble together stuff that seems to 'go', and then run it and take photos.

Yannis, no, I collect locomotives from seven different roads, and the ATSF is one of them. I'm not what many would call a modeler at all, strictly. Maybe free/proto/lance? I cobble together stuff that seems to 'go', and then run it and take photos.

And, thanks for your compliment. Helps to keep me motivated.

Back