wooden trestle

jscw1

Jack Strong
Jack from Star Idaho. I started a new project which is going to be pretty cool. I am going to build a large trestle that will measure 88 actual inches in length. :eek: The question I have is "What would be the proper spacing needed for the bents?" Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the type of trestle, the height, and also the weight and speed of the equipment going across it.

Hi, Jack Strong here. The Trestle is 637 scale feet, double track, and 80 scale feet in height. This will support long freight and passenger trains Diesel and steam. The freight is pulled by a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and 50 cars.

Hi, Jack Strong here. The Trestle is 637 scale feet, double track, and 80 scale feet in height. This will support long freight and passenger trains Diesel and steam. The freight is pulled by a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and 50 cars.

Jack from Star Idaho....The question I have is "What would be the proper spacing needed for the bents?" Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Jack;

Might I suggest that you buy this book. Its from Carstens Publications, and it will answer any question you may have about any bridge at any time.
Its written by Paul Mallery, and titled Bridge and Trestle Handbook.

Just some of the subjects in the book are, Purpose, Engineering, Types, Abutments, Piers, Steel truss, Timber, Arch, etc...

It is one of, what I consider a must have ref. books, of Model Railroading.

Going through some canyons, are we?
I definitely want to see a picture of this when it's built!

Some resources ..

The transition spiral, earthwork, railroad location, trestles, trackwork .. etc etc. copyright 1907 .. TRESTLES

Railroad Construction Theory and Practice pub 1914 - Trestles

A treatise on wooden trestle bridges according to the present practice of American Railroads - pub 1904 - (page 60 .. it says "Considerable economy may be effected in trestles of great height by spacing the bents further apart, say thirty feet, and supporting the floor on a deck truss."

Civil Engineer's pocket book : A reference for engineers pub 1918 - on page 790 it says ".. The bents of wooden trestles are spaced usually from 12 to 16 ft. i the ordinary spacing being, perhaps. 15 ft., calling for 30-ft. strikers* are snipped conveniently on the average flat car ...

Railroad Construction - pub 1913 .. on page 228 it says "Wooden Trestles with Ballast Floors. — There are two general types, one having the stringers separated and covered ... The spacing for bents is from 12 to 14 ft. centers. They first came into use in 1878 and no road reports having found ..."

Back