wooden structure construction advice please

gseritt

Hey Guys,

I have two quick questions:

1st - when building wooden structures - do you guys use primer or varnish before you paint or no?

2nd - what brand / type of glue or cement do you guys suggest for attaching metal pieces to wooden pieces.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

I do not use primer on any of my wooden buildings, just the acrylic hobby paints, usually applied sparingly and to both sides of the wood to prevent warping. Never a problem with paint even after years/several moves. Plus, it is brushed because I do not have an airbrush. Seems to work fine.

For glue, I use a brand of "gorilla" super glue whether wood, plastic, or metal. I look for one of their products "dries clear", because they have one that turns a little milky. May have to make a little hole or slot where the metal meets the wood. A hidden surface could stand some epoxy like JB weld to make an extra sturdy bond.

Hope this helps, lasm

Wood to wood = Elmers Carpenters Glue or CA
Metal to wood = Goo or CA
Metal to Metal = Goo or CA or JBWeld

Use a wood Conditioner before painting for a nicer, easier paint job, unless you are going to scrape the wood for a pealing effect.
I'm old school, so others may have their own newer versions.

Wood to wood = Elmers Carpenters Glue or CA
Metal to wood = Goo or CA
Metal to Metal = Goo or CA or JBWeld

Use a wood Conditioner before painting for a nicer, easier paint job, unless you are going to scrape the wood for a pealing effect.
I'm old school, so others may have their own newer versions.

What he said, except I stain with an india ink wash before painting and put weights on the flat sections until they dry.

Back