Wood - What Type for Base/Table?

What type of wood would you all suggest using for the table part of a layout? I am getting ready to start, but first im going to practice for a while before I spend big bucks to start building a layout in the basement.

Thanks!

What type of wood would you all suggest using for the table part of a layout? I am getting ready to start, but first im going to practice for a while before I spend big bucks to start building a layout in the basement.

Thanks!

I'm going to use 3/4" hardwood sided plywood, but into 3" strips.

#2 grade fir lumber for me, topped with 3/8" plywood and foam on that. Building 2'x8' sections gives you a lot of time to practice getting it right.

I use 1x4's for the framing, 2x4's for legs, and 1x2's for diagonal bracing of legs. The subroadbed and flats are with BC grade, 1/2" plywood.

1/8" Masonite, 3/8" Plywood, 1x4's, 2x2's & 2x4's for me. With some pure foam modules dropped in.

I used 2x4s for legs. 2x4 Metal studs for framing. 3/4" plywood for benchwork covered with 1/2" homasote. Over that 2" foam on inclines and raised areas as needed.

Ditto for me as FunValley did but I also used an old heavy dining table as a base . You can sleep on it and not worry about it falling down. A bit of overkill but I had the material so it worked for me !!

Ditto for me as FunValley did but I also used an old heavy dining table as a base . You can sleep on it and not worry about it falling down. A bit of overkill but I had the material so it worked for me !!

I have done enough with layouts that twist and torque. You can walk anywhere on my layout or sleep. Dont think there can be overkill on benchwork. I have chopped up a few that expanded and contracted and is why I went with metal studs.

1x4 for the box frame, 2" pink foam for the tabletop. Legs are portable 2x4 sawhorses with x' longitudinal 2x4 for the box frame to sit on. Shim to level, but it's actually pretty level on it's own.

Kennedy

Back