Women who are model railroaders

Fan of the 4449

I am wondering how many women or young women are interested in model railroading?
I have been into model railroading for 4 years now and I am the only female who belongs to 2 different model railroad clubs.
Why aren't there more of us who are in this hobby??:confused:

Please reply to this post and let me know that I am not the only one!:p

Thank you,:eek:

Aline
Salem, OR

Ya know, I don't think I've ever met a lady model railroader in person.

I would think that, with their creative/artistic abilities, many gals would make exceptional model railroaders. Maybe it's a good thing there aren't to many. They might put us guys to shame... :D

my mates girlfriend's a model railroader, she has even converted him from miNor scale to HO scale, which is amazing, it must be love.

Railphotog said:
I'm just glad my wife isn't a model railroader. If she was, she'd know how much I've spent on my toys!

Bob, You better hide the Walthers Catalog before she starts taking an inventory! :D

Railphotog said:
I'm just glad my wife isn't a model railroader. If she was, she'd know how much I've spent on my toys!

My hubby is also a Model Railroader and we both know how much we spend. We know what we can afford!
He mainly does scenery and I just like to work on the Locomotives and rolling stock.

We have fun together when we go to train shows and train swapmeets!

Aline

My wife is a passive model railroader - so far.

She's chomping at the bit to do some scenery on my (our) layout, and I'm almost ready for that to start in a few spots. She's really aching to get started on a garden railroad this year!
She really has a good time at the train shows. Lately we've focused on getting scenic details and what-not - vehicles, people, barrels, that kind of stuff.

grande man said:
Ya know, I don't think I've ever met a lady model railroader in person.

I would think that, with their creative/artistic abilities, many gals would make exceptional model railroaders.

Well, Gman, I've known two and yes they were quite exceptional.

The first one was Mary Miller, an NMRA MMR (Master Model Railroader).
She also models with her husband, in On3 and has down some very exceptional work. I think either MR or RMC did an article on her several years ago. (I could be wrong, it could have been what was then the NMRA Bulletin). She also stays active within her region, (or did at the time). I worked with her at a couple of joint region conventions several years ago, in the contest room. She, I believe, was MCR contest chair and I was SER (SouthEastern Region) contest chair, coordinating on the contests for the meet.

The second one was the SER's magazine editor, Melinda Martin. Very nice lady, skilled model railroader, and also modeled with her husband. She unfortunately is no longer the editor as she and her husband were transferred, "up Nawth" somewhere. Haven't kept up with her in a while.

Hi Aline, and welcome to ModelRailroadForums. Well we do have an active lady model railroader right on this forum, Lady_Railfan. Her layout is a garden railroad in G scale. She would have been one of the first to greet you but presently she's enjoying a train excursion. Watch for her when she comes back online here's a link to her profile http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=6 she's an excellent modeler kitbashing and even scratch builds. There are others who have joined but we don't see too much of them on the forum lately.

13.gif
Willis

I've met Leslie Eaton, MMR. Her husband is also a model RR, but I don't think he's a MMR.

She usually does a clinic on nano-animation at the National NMRA Conventions; if you want your HO scale outhouse to have an automatically operating door, she's the person to talk to. She also does quick clinics during the National Train Show; they set up a small table for her to demo various things....

Kennedy

Hi, Aline, and welcome aboard!!! Yes, I've just returned from GorgeRail --- been out playing with the big guys. :D I'm not too coherent yet, having arrived home at 3:00 a.m. today. I'm happy to see you here. :)

Lady_Railfan said:
Hi, Aline, and welcome aboard!!! Yes, I've just returned from GorgeRail --- been out playing with the big guys. :D I'm not too coherent yet, having arrived home at 3:00 a.m. today. I'm happy to see you here. :)

Hi Lady Railfan!

As you can see I was trying to find out just how many women are into model Railroading. I have posted the question on 3 froums and have gotten some good replies, mostly from the guy's. A few women answred who have been sitting on the sideline reading the post.
I think I have chatted with you on Railroadfourms in the chat room a time or two about a year ago.
Glad to hear you went to the GorgeRail. I had to work that weekend or I would have been there too!

I have heard about some notabile women who are modelers and they are really great.

Aline,
Salem, OR

My wife likes trains and likes to get involved with me in collecting. running trains, and detailing structures. She is casual about it however and doesn't talk about it much.

Back