Woman Killed By Train

While I'm sorry to hear about a death and I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, but don't these people have any common sense? I hope that the photographer gets charged with trespassing if nothing else. No one except RR employees belong on the tracks.

Willie

Not for nothing, but there is absolutely no reason for someone not connected with the railroad to be on or near the tracks. I'm not cold hearted, but over 42 years, I have had to deal with entirely too many unnecessary deaths or injuries suffered by trespassers. The photographer and the young lady exhibited very poor judgment in selecting the location for the shoot, and she paid the ultimate price for her choice.

Joe

Willie, She won't be charged with anything, as she was killed. It's a sad thing and I feel sorry for the family!

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie, I didn't read the news link and was only going by what D&J Railroad had said. My bad!!

Double track crossing near M.S.U. and every few years a student gets caught like that. Not hearing the other train on the other track nearly cooled me when I was a kid, several of us were walking the tracks and if not for the warning of a friend who was trying to catch up with us we would have been squashed. You really cannot hear the other train and it's RIGHT there!

There are infrequent incidents on the North Jersey Coast Line, where passengers will exit Westbound, (Shore Bound), trains, walk around the rear of their train and walk out in front of an Eastbound, (New York) train and be struck. People are plain careless and mindless about the tracks. These are the same preoccupied people that blow through Stop Signs, and Red Lights, and pull out into traffic without looking. It's sad, yes, but these are preventable accidents. All it takes is some good judgment and personal responsibility to keep occurrences like this from happening.

I bet everything happened in a QZ = QUIET ZONE. Shhhh, a train is coming ! Lol. Hopefully all the correct paperwork is / was filled out submitted correctly to the proper officials and authorities!

BCK RR

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet everything happened in a QZ = QUIET ZONE. Shhhh, a train is coming ! Lol. Hopefully all the correct paperwork is / was filled out submitted correctly to the proper officials and authorities!

BCK RR

I very much doubt any authority to be on active tracks would ever be given to members of the public, doubt they'd get it on abandoned track either.

I can remember my uncle talking about being between two tracks when trains are passing. This should be avoided if at all possible but he said that even the most experienced person can get disoriented and possible fall into one of the trains. He was told that if this were to happen that you should drop to the ground and lay flat on your stomach until the trains have past.

I can remember my uncle talking about being between two tracks when trains are passing. This should be avoided if at all possible but he said that even the most experienced person can get disoriented and possible fall into one of the trains. He was told that if this were to happen that you should drop to the ground and lay flat on your stomach until the trains have past.

Thanks for the training that I hope that I never need, actually I know that I will never need it. It is good advice from an old-timer though.

Willie

While I'm sorry to hear about a death and I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, but don't these people have any common sense? I hope that the photographer gets charged with trespassing if nothing else. No one except RR employees belong on the tracks.
I had to chase off an entire wedding party that somehow decided our railroad tracks (UP) were a good place to pose for pictures. !??

There was an article on a popular photo site about not photographing high school seniors' portraits or models' portfolio shots on train tracks. While the thrust of the post was that it's simply too cliche, obviously, it's also dangerous. A sad day for the girl's parents.

Not to forget about a loose piece of rolling stock overhanging that could hit you or a loose piece of load from an open con car.

Greg

This subject is sad, without doubt! However, I don't understand why the conversation has lasted for almost a month. I must be missing the significance of this story.

Back