Woes & hazards of eBay (aka flea-bay)

Hi Terry -

I performed a Google search for thinkpad supervisor password and found a number of pages that claim to provide instructions for resetting the supervisor password. Maybe these might help you.

Otherwise, I hope you can get a refund.

- Jeff

Hi Terry -

I performed a Google search for thinkpad supervisor password and found a number of pages that claim to provide instructions for resetting the supervisor password. Maybe these might help you.

Otherwise, I hope you can get a refund.

- Jeff
I am sure the password can be removed--IF I don't mind paying more for the service than I paid for the laptop. I paid $75 for it, and the tool is $125, the service is $100 if I want to send it in. The bad thing is, it is a very clean laptop, otherwise.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties. But thanks for reinforcing my aversion to the place you speak of! I don't even bother looking at things I will not buy anyway on there.

It really is too bad some 'jamokes' gotta screw it up, it's a nice idea!

I am sure the password can be removed--IF I don't mind paying more for the service than I paid for the laptop. I paid $75 for it, and the tool is $125, the service is $100 if I want to send it in. The bad thing is, it is a very clean laptop, otherwise.

Hey Terry, try this web site. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ It's Lenovo support. I believe they own the rights to the think pads and IBM PCs

I have never tried to solve the problem you are experiencing, but I do know they have an extensive library of documents and files for IBM products. They even predate the buy out. If all else fails send them an email. I have used them for servicing other people's PCs and they have never asked for a receipt or any kind of proof of purchase. All you need is the serial number. I have not used them for a few years, I hope they are still the same.

I had a need for an inexpensive laptop, and found a deal on a Thinkpad, listed as being in perfect condition, just a little slow, for $53, shipped.
It does look good, but I don't know how well it functions, as there is a supervisor password locking it. The seller says it had no password on it when he shipped it, but it suddenly has one when I unbox it and turn it on. I've requested a refund, for "not as described", we'll see what Ebay says about it. He has already said he isn't giving me my money back. His deadline is the 27th, then Ebay can (and hopefully will) step in.

Terry I answered without reading the entire thread, Is like going off half cocked?

It's never good to read the last reply first and only, forgive my haste.

What the seller says and what eBay can do are 2 totally different things. I would bet a dollar to a doughnut eBay will intervene on your behalf.

For the record I am a big fan of eBay, caveat emptor.

A good portion of my Lionel trains have come from eBay, 100% of my Lionel MPC era trains have come from eBay. Without them I would not have some of my childhood dreams. I got all 3 of these on eBay far below book value, in great running order and complete with the original Lionel boxes.

6-8463 Conventional Chessie B&O GP20 #8463.jpg6-8359 Conventional Chessie B&O GP7 GM50.jpgTrain 2 4th of July Locomotive U36B Seaboard Coast Line.jpg

I've always been very deliberate in my bids on what I would like to have. I put my Max bid in, and let the auction run its course. I also watch what other offers on the same model is from different sellers. I will check their FB and if it is good, I'll bid. I win about 90% of what I bid on, cause the model I'm wanting might be the worse looking of the other 3-4 models from different sellers. These will go at a much lower price than the other better looking models.

I'm with you, Carey. I just place the max I am willing to pay and let it run its course. Many times I will be outbid by a few pennies .. Oh well. If I had raised my bid .. They probably would have too!

Hey Terry, try this web site. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ It's Lenovo support. I believe they own the rights to the think pads and IBM PCs

I have never tried to solve the problem you are experiencing, but I do know they have an extensive library of documents and files for IBM products. They even predate the buy out. If all else fails send them an email. I have used them for servicing other people's PCs and they have never asked for a receipt or any kind of proof of purchase. All you need is the serial number. I have not used them for a few years, I hope they are still the same.
The factory solution is to replace the motherboard, for $$$. No other options or choices, unless I want to go the hacking route with soldering irons and alligator clips.

The factory solution is to replace the motherboard, for $$$. No other options or choices, unless I want to go the hacking route with soldering irons and alligator clips.

That is a drastic solution. So drastic that it is not an option unless the laptop is nearly brand new. What "genius" came up with that idea? That is an anti-theft system on steroids. What I don't understand is if a thief finds it unusable he will simply toss it away. The majority of honest owners who forget the password are screwed. That is overkill.

Open your case with eBay ASAP, I am certain you will win. I am sorry for your troubles and I wish you well.

That is a drastic solution. So drastic that it is not an option unless the laptop is nearly brand new. What "genius" came up with that idea? That is an anti-theft system on steroids. What I don't understand is if a thief finds it unusable he will simply toss it away. The majority of honest owners who forget the password are screwed. That is overkill.

Open your case with eBay ASAP, I am certain you will win. I am sorry for your troubles and I wish you well.

The theory is it locks out people, and keeps them from getting sensitive info. Not so much an anti-theft device as an information protection device. Currently the hard drive is locked down with the same password.
I opened a case with Ebay less than 5 minutes after the seller said "tough luck". They said they will step in on the 27th. I've already given him bad feedback, which currently stands at -1.
I did offer him a solution, we'll see if he takes it. If it cost you $15 to get rid of a $75 problem, would you pay or fight?

The theory is it locks out people, and keeps them from getting sensitive info. Not so much an anti-theft device as an information protection device. Currently the hard drive is locked down with the same password.
I opened a case with Ebay less than 5 minutes after the seller said "tough luck". They said they will step in on the 27th. I've already given him bad feedback, which currently stands at -1.
I did offer him a solution, we'll see if he takes it. If it cost you $15 to get rid of a $75 problem, would you pay or fight?

Theft is theft, stealing information/intellectual property or tangible property makes no difference in my mind, but I do see your point.

From what I understand of eBay's buyer protection I would expect your case should be a full refund and free return shipping. I only had one case of something being "not as described" and that was the solution in my case. The seller in my case decided not have me ship it back. I ended up a full refund and the item. From my experience eBay stands behind the buyers. They almost have to because otherwise they would have difficulty convincing people to buy.

Okay, final word from the seller today:
"Here's my offer: Tell Ebay to release my money. Take it or leave it".
Pretty arrogant...

Okay, final word from the seller today:
"Here's my offer: Tell Ebay to release my money. Take it or leave it".
Pretty arrogant...

Terry they will release the money, his only problem is the money will be going back into your account. His final offer certainly won't help his case.

"Arrogant, yeah maybe, stupid, defiantly! As Foghorn Leghorn would say "that boy is about as sharp as a bowling ball"

Back