Wiring

TrainMaster9889

This is probally a no brainer for you others but i am just getting into model railroading. i have everything i need but i am to dumb to figure out this question i am going to ask that hopefully one or more can answer for me so i can begin my layout process. When you have 2 tracks side by side and they cross over to one another how do u seperate power so u can run one train on one line and one train on the other. Thanks for your help Jeff

When you have 2 tracks side by side and they cross over to one another
Well no doubt we'll have an answer for you, but first it will be necessary to understand your track layout and how you want to operate. In the photo below, is this what you are asking about? Wiring will depend on the way you want to operate. In the photo only 1 or 1 pair of locos can be operated and the wiring is simple. To operate 2 sets of locos another crossover is necessary with a less simple circuit. However DCC equipped lococ have a common power feed from a power buss to the tracks and will not require complex wiring. Let us know a bit more about your track plans and it will be easier to explain.
Cheers Willis

There are several articles in the NMRA 'Introduciton to Model Railroading' pages that are designed to help you understand what is needed. View them at: http://www.nmra.org/beginner/

Short answer, to run two trains separately you need to islolate (insulate) the tracks from each other so they may be controlled independently by using plastic rail joiners or gaps.

Back