Wiring question

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
I'm ready to start digging again to ballast the tracks that are now just sitting on the ground, and provide electrical power to the layout.

I've decided to use battery power for my loco(s), but I need to install wiring for switches, lights, etc. I've read articles that describe burying insulated wire directly in the ground, and others that recommend using conduit.

Recommendations, please?

U can bury the wire directly but when ever there is a box the wire and the box should be sealed att he joint to keep moisture from getting to the elecrtical connections. Also use wire that is designated for burial. The condiut also works but is more expensive. U have to buy the conduit and the wire.

Larry and Willis, thank you so much. As you may have guessed, I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous (to myself and others). I believe I will heed Willis' suggestion to leave the boxes above ground. I'm encroaching on The Husband's garden as it is, so I can't restrict him from watering his babies as he sees fit. Needless to say, there will be plenty of vegetation available to camouflage the electrical work.

Lady_Railfan said:
I've decided to use battery power for my loco(s)...
What company are you going to use for battery power? I would suggest Remote Control Systems of Australia (yes they have dealers in the states). I have seen and have G gauge locos equiped with their system and they seem to work the best. The handheld controller is about the size of a cigratte package, small enough that it can fit in your pocket, and be used one handed. All the other systems I have seen use model airplane controllers that are big and require a two handed operation. :mad:
bn1940

BN1940, I'm not that far along yet, but thanks for your excellent suggestion. A consideration with my present loco is size, but new power is also a high priority. In other words, if my best choice for a battery pack won't fit, I'll find another loco.

I'm glad you've joined us here on the forums. I'm going to need all the help I can get! :D

Lady_Railfan said:
BN1940, I'm not that far along yet, but thanks for your excellent suggestion. A consideration with my present loco is size, but new power is also a high priority. In other words, if my best choice for a battery pack won't fit, I'll find another loco.
If you end up going with battery power, you can custom make batteries to fit your locomotive. I've seen the RCS intstalled in locos a as small as a one truck Shay (with about an 1 1/2-2 hour battery life) or as big as my GP9 which has lots of room for batterys. :)

Back