Wiring on the prototype...

modelbob

Administrator
A rare look at some of the under benchwork wiring on a full size railroad... They apparently use telephone wires just like a lot of model railroaders!

I tried suggesting to this fellow that he just switch to DCC, but he didn't seem interested. Can you imagine trying to match up all those wires? Yikes!

PS - If you happened to try to call somebody in Elbe, WA today, don't blame me for the fact they didn't answer. They told me those wires were 20 feet away on the OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACKS... They now know where they were really buried!

Last edited by a moderator:
grande man said:
Uh Oh! :eek: Looks like today would have been a good one to have been on vacation.

"Can you hear me now?" "NO!" :)

Actually, they did that yesterday, today the phone company was making the repairs. Not a problem, since we had called for a locate and the wires weren't marked in the proper location. They basically said "Uh, sorry about that, our fault" and fixed the lines without complaint...

They are redoing the Interstate system in our area, they have cut the phone lines about 3 times now, I think one was a fiber line. They had businesses down for about 3 days with that one. Modelbob, that must have been a little nerve racking after you guys hit that line, wondering what else they didn't get with a Julie call.

Be happy even more that it wasn't a high pressure gas line!! Seen that happen, pretty scary!

papio said:
Be happy even more that it wasn't a high pressure gas line!! Seen that happen, pretty scary!

They're easy to find when it comes to railroad tracks. They're always encased and vented etc, and usually are quite obvious....

Back