Wiring Lighting for HO Locomotive Static Display

MKEloco

Hello everyone! First post here, and looking for some guidance. I am in my 30's now, and haven't done anything with model railroading since i was a child, which consisted of a simple HO DC EZ track layout on my bedroom floor. Anyways, my love for trains has never diminished, and instead of building a layout, I would like to display some of my locomotives on a small shelf on a wall. Currently I am interested in displaying my Proto 2000 Southern Pacific #6053 E8/E9. I would like to replace the lighting with LED, but still maintain the Mars Light, and maybe add an additional light below the mars light in the glazing which would also light up the number boards. My first issue is, how could I make a display locomotives lights function without DC power? Is there a way to operate the lighting via a battery and a remote control? Secondly, where would i even begin to look to find a mars light LED that would fit my shell? I thank you in advance for your replies and help!

An AC power supply might work but it would heat the motor up and eventually burn it up. AC is not good for a DC motor.
If you wanted to use DC, you would have to disconnect the motor from the circuit which is quite easy. Just pop the shell off and you will see two wires going to the motor. Just disconnect one of them and you should be good so your motor doesn't sit there and spin. You would then be able to apply a 12VDC wall wart power to your track and your lights will be on.

Yes, I would disconnect the motor absolutely. What is the best/cleanest way to connect a AC power 12vDC transformer to a piece of display track?

Another thing to consider, but a little more involved, would be to add a DCC decoder. Setup the decoder to have the functions you want on, when it is powered by DC, and have the motor ignore the DC signal. You get the light functions you want, without the locomotive moving, or needing to undo the wiring to the motor.

Yes, I would disconnect the motor absolutely. What is the best/cleanest way to connect a AC power 12vDC transformer to a piece of display track?
Just take the track power output of your power pack and connect one lead to each track rail. If you can solder, do it that way, if not, consider buying a track clip.

71Rftfq-syL._SL1440_.jpg

My first issue is, how could I make a display locomotives lights function without DC power? Is there a way to operate the lighting via a battery and a remote control?
A battery is DC power. I am certain there is a way to do it with battery and remote, have just not heard of such a thing that could be pre-purchased.

Secondly, where would i even begin to look to find a mars light LED that would fit my shell?
Are you asking where to find the LED, or where to find a circuit that emulates a mars light? My guess is that most circuits of this nature will require multiple LEDs as the standard lamp type often use dual elements bulbs to do this.

Most "mars" light kits I know of are for lamps rather than LEDs. However I found the one below:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/ngineering...sim-model-railroad-electrical-accessory-n8031

In looking for that, I ran across several "how to" on putting mars lights in diesels. Most were u-tube things.

Last edited:
If your Proto 2000 E8/E9's are as old as my similar PA/PB's, they had a twin filament glass bulb for the Mars (quite large) and a slightly smaller one for the H/light. They were mounted in a clear plastic part that encompassed the number boards as well. The light from the H/light spread out to them via that part. They were DC powered, so presumably, a 12V battery would also operate everything. Removing the motor connections will prevent it moving when the power is on to the track, or probably preferably, as it's going to be a static display, direct to the lighting board to avoid any corrosion between wheels and track, interfering with conductivity over time. Turning on with a simple on/off switch, should then operate the lights automatically through the existing lighting board.

Back