Wiring in Switch Signals

grumpybob

Lake Shore Lines
Since I have the RR apart for some needed track repairs, I thought I would wire in some signals because when standing in front of the rails, sometimes it is not easy to see what direction the switch is thrown. I recently bought some Tomar Signals and had already installed Tortoises to handle the switches. I added the necessary wiring to the Tortoise based upon the drawings supplied and connected the signals up to a separate power pack. Although not all the pictures came out clearly, I think it shows the results well enough.

Bob A.

grumpybob said:
Although not all the pictures came out clearly, I think it shows the results well enough.

Bob A.

I agree Bob, great work. Signals make are a great addition to any model RR, IMHO.

Thanks Grande Man and Rex.

I have about three more to put in. I like how it works well with the Switch-its so that when the crew throws the switch from their cab, the signals change right along with it.

Bob A.

As a side note, a simple add on to your idea, that some here might find useful, the signals could easily be added to a switch route so they indicate turnout position. That way, they could still be switched to a different aspect independently of the turnout if so desired. The signals would have to be controlled from a separate stationary decoder channel for this to work. In fact, all signals on a section of single track could be controlled in unison thru switch route programming and still indicate turnout position from a separate route program. This way, a dispatcher could control signals for opposing moves with a standard throttle without disturbing the utility of having the signals indicate turnout position. The dispatchers panel could easily be set up to mimic the layout signal indications... Man, I love DCC!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, GrandeMan I am waiting for NCE to release it's new signaling system. I have already installed the block detectors, and just need to get the signal boards. The front signal mast will go on the system. The Switch-its are great for turnouts, and contolling just red and green aspects for the signals, but will not allow for three color signalling.

Yeah Bob, I would like to follow your progress and see how you do yours. I have had my Digitrax Signal system for 6 months, but seemed to have found too many other things to sidetrack me. Hopefully, I will be able to make a serious start this fall.

Back