Wiring a Marx 0416 Tower

Buddy497

Over the past few years, I have been reviving my O scale trains to share with my grandson. Most of these go back to the 1960's and I have accumulated a few more recent pieces over time. Somewhere I acquired a Marx 0416 4-bulb light tower. It is in good shape considering its age. The tower is primarily made of plastic. It has a metal ladder and a metal pole which runs through its center. There are wire clips attached to the pole and the ladder. Here is my confusion. Both of these metal connections seem to run to ground platforms which hold the armature for the light casings on 2 levels. The hot (center) portions of the light sockets are connected in pairs. One on each top level attached to one on each bottom level. There is no apparent way to get current to the hot terminals in the light sockets. The bulbs appear to be intact. I cannot get this tower to light. Does anyone have any advice here?

Thank you.

Tower 1.jpg
Tower 2.jpg

Buddy497

Looking at your pictures and checking a few other sites.....

I am not an O gauge guy but from what I see here it looks like the current runs through the center tab up through the pipe to the lights with the wires and jumper wires in series to each lamp then back out to "grounding" via ladder.

I found more clear pictures...on ebay to better understand the circuit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marx-Train...274526?hash=item5963f7d09e:g:RMAAAOSwpfBf7khS

I would guess that the voltage is pretty low. I am no wizard but at least that is the circuit path that I see and some where you have a break...?

my 2 cents...

There is no apparent way to get current to the hot terminals in the light sockets. The bulbs appear to be intact. I cannot get this tower to light.
They are probably 6 volt lamps wired in series for 12 V , If the ladder touches the bottom platform the power will short out . Chances are you either have a bad or loose connection . The best way to trouble shoot it is with a multimeter or 12V circuit test lamp .

Back