Wiring a layout

Bushel86

Hey everyone. So my first time wiring DCC, I am modeling a freelance Industrial spur in Ho scale. layout is 20' long, 18" wide mostly. I will post a pic of my track plan if it lets me. the "mainline" will be code 83, all my sidings will be code 70. I have 1 run around track. to join the code 70 to code 83. I bought some 1 1/2" code 83 straight snap track. and filed the bottom on 1 end to fit inside code 70 joiners which works perfectly as far as alignment and all. easier than trying to solder the rail on top of the joiners.

So what I am wondering is do I need to run feeders to my industry spurs? I know the main and the run around siding needs it. but do my short spurs need them? do I need to add insolation blocks. I have 1 30° crossing that goes from the run around track across the main into a building. I plan on running a single engine to operate the layout. no more than 1 engine will be on the layout at a time. I will not be running double headers or having 1 spotted while using another. If I decide to add on the layout it may only be 8 foot along another wall but that may be a long way off. right now My priority is this 20' section.

I plan on making my turnouts manual but from undertable to make it invisable. However I may use ground throws, have not decided yet.

Also I have termanal rail joiners, homemade I had plan to use, as the wires are solder to the bottom of the joiners to hide the wires. should I use them? I have never soldered other than a handfull of times so Its a little intimadating for me. but I do plan on soldering the code 70 to 83 sectional joints.

If you can help me figure out my wireing. I know to run feeders every 6 feet for the main. but its the sidings and spurs Im unsure about if I do need fedders do I need insolators?

Attachments

• Screenshot (4029).png
    Screenshot (4029).png
    12.3 KB · Views: 113
Do you NEED to run feeders to the spur tracks? No.
Would I do it if it was my layout? Yes. The more feeders you have the better electrical reliability you have. I would also use flex track wherever possible.

So my first time wiring DCC, ... layout is 20' long.

1. do I need to run feeders to my short spurs? - No, can't hurt but not necessary.

2. do I need to add insolation blocks. I have 1 30° crossing .... - No, not isolation blocks BUT depending on the brand of crossing it is, and you didn't mention what brand/type of turnout you are using. Certain turnouts and crossing need insulated rails in certain situations.

3. Also I have termanal rail joiners, should I use them? - umm probably yes. They can become loose over time but usually will work fine.

If you can help me figure out my wiring. I know to run feeders every 6 feet for the main. but its the sidings and spurs Im unsure about if I do need feeders do I need insulators?
If this were mine I would have 4 sets of feeders in red. IF and only if you are working with hot point turnouts (like Peco Electrofrog) then there will need to be 6 insulated joiners or rail gap at the blue dots. note the blue dots are on one rail not both. And the crossing would be a whole another story depending on its specifics.
feeders.jpg

I completely agree with Iron Horseman. If you're using Atlas switches and crossing, no insulation of any tracks is necessary. I add feeders to some of my longer spurs just because it's cheap insurance for power. That one that runs through the crossover and the two in the upper right are good examples. If you use flextrack on the right, they wouldn't be necessary.
I like your track plan.

"I plan on running a single engine to operate the layout. no more than 1 engine will be on the layout at a time. I will not be running double headers or having 1 spotted while using another."

Not sure why you wouldn't. I think you will find, that with running DCC, you could have several engines spotted on the layout while operating just one at a time. Or lash up a couple or more of 'em just for kicks and grins, while the rest sit on a siding. Won't hurt a thing, really.

If strictly running DCC, then no isolated sections, or blocks, are required anywhere. Power everything in sight. On my DCC N-scale layout, besides dropping feeders frequently as others have suggested, I went so far as to solder ALL track joiners for improved electrical continuity, including the turnouts. Just make sure you know how to remove soldered joints, should you ever have to replace a bad turnout or other piece of track. Also, I rarely use any sectional straight or curved track pieces, except on temporary layouts. For a more scaled and detailed layout look, I stick with flex track. It gives one the ultimate "flexibility" ;) in track laying, as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm with santafewillie - I like your track plan too. 👍

I agree with Iron Horseman's placement of feeders.

However, I would go a little further.

I would insulate both rails at the 3 spots shown in blue above.

I would "gang together" the two "lowermost feeders", and keep them separate from the two "upper" ones.

This way, I could physically switch the feeders at the dcc control box to become "a programming track", if you need one.
You WILL need one.
feeders.jpg

If you are using Atlas turnouts, the best approach is to use Tam Valley frog juicer to power the frogs. It switches polarity automatically as locomotives traverse the turnouts. You can see what I did here:

Put in all the feeders you can. It's much easier to do before you scenic. Someday you may have a loose connection and even if you don't connect the feeders now, it will make the fix much easier later. Put insulating tape on any feeders you don't connect.

You can also solder any track joins that are permanent, but if it's sectional track it's easier to use flex track in the first place.

1. do I need to run feeders to my short spurs? - No, can't hurt but not necessary.

2. do I need to add insolation blocks. I have 1 30° crossing .... - No, not isolation blocks BUT depending on the brand of crossing it is, and you didn't mention what brand/type of turnout you are using. Certain turnouts and crossing need insulated rails in certain situations.

3. Also I have termanal rail joiners, should I use them? - umm probably yes. They can become loose over time but usually will work fine.

If this were mine I would have 4 sets of feeders in red. IF and only if you are working with hot point turnouts (like Peco Electrofrog) then there will need to be 6 insulated joiners or rail gap at the blue dots. note the blue dots are on one rail not both. And the crossing would be a whole another story depending on its specifics.
View attachment 130694
Thanks I forgot all turnouts are atlas, including the crossing. however the code 70 is micro eng. its all flex track, I only use the snap for the transition. as i didn't want to file down the ends of the turnouts. this way i get a smooth transition. I do plan on soldering the rail joiners, But Will not be in any hurry to do so. as I want to get practice in before I do.

thanks for the Diagram that actually helps a lot.

"I plan on running a single engine to operate the layout. no more than 1 engine will be on the layout at a time. I will not be running double headers or having 1 spotted while using another."

Not sure why you wouldn't. I think you will find, that with running DCC, you could have several engines spotted on the layout while operating just one at a time. Or lash up a couple or more of 'em just for kicks and grins, while the rest sit on a siding. Won't hurt a thing, really.

I know it wont hurt anything. I use tobelong to a club a long time ago. but This is my started layout, Plus I only have 1 engine that is Dcc and another that is not. So until I add Dcc to the other I keep it as a single engine line. But I am modeling this line for proto type Ops so single loco and plus its a undustrial. I do plan on doing a N scale that will be a more main line op.

If strictly running DCC, then no isolated sections, or blocks, are required anywhere. Power everything in sight. On my DCC N-scale layout, besides dropping feeders frequently as others have suggested, I went so far as to solder ALL track joiners for improved electrical continuity, including the turnouts. Just make sure you know how to remove soldered joints, should you ever have to replace a bad turnout or other piece of track. Also, I rarely use any sectional straight or curved track pieces, except on temporary layouts. For a more scaled and detailed layout look, I stick with flex track. It gives one the ultimate "flexibility" ;) in track laying, as far as I'm concerned.

Def agree on using Flex, It certianly is something I have always believed in. This is my first layout in 20 years. so I am taking things slow. and learning. want to make a super detailed photogenic layout. my layout will be slow.

And I'm with santafewillie - I like your track plan too. 👍
Thanks,

I agree with Iron Horseman's placement of feeders.

However, I would go a little further.

I would insulate both rails at the 3 spots shown in blue above.

I would "gang together" the two "lowermost feeders", and keep them separate from the two "upper" ones.

This way, I could physically switch the feeders at the dcc control box to become "a programming track", if you need one.
You WILL need one.
View attachment 130724
My programming track will be at my workbench. so I am not to worried about that. But since I only have 1 engine I can program it from the layout for now. I know you don't want to do it with other units on the layout. which i plan to connect my computer to my programming track eventually. I should state I run NCE or have it as its still in box right now.

Back