Wire coils loads, NEED HELP

@TLOC: For what ever reason, the "how-to-do-it" on this load has been popping up lately in my head (lot's of empty space there)...
...and I just took another look at the first photo. By my count there are 14x2=28 coils on the bottom level, but only one single one on the upper level, presumably centered on the lower coils (side-to-side, roughly along the centerline of the car). Meaning 11 more up top for a total count of 39 coils, not 50. Am I missing something?

I do tend to think 3D modeling+printing and galvanized color paint (with india ink in the gaps to give it more separation) might be a friend here. The coils are uneven in the windings--some winding protrude further out, but others are tighter.

Winding by hand or even motor spinning would still make that quite hard to reproduce unless the coil was done with some sort of wire...but it could be done with 3D (SLA resin) printing I think. And would be much more easily reproduced too.

@TLOC: For what ever reason, the "how-to-do-it" on this load has been popping up lately in my head (lot's of empty space there)...
...and I just took another look at the first photo. By my count there are 14x2=28 coils on the bottom level, but only one single one on the upper level, presumably centered on the lower coils (side-to-side, roughly along the centerline of the car). Meaning 11 more up top for a total count of 39 coils, not 50. Am I missing something?
I will check them out again. I am recovering from a low blood glucose event from this afternoon which means this diabetic let his blood sugars get too low at 59. 5 hours later feeling bettter but eyes hurt a bit

Idid go to the local hardware store for a Eye hook to hang somethinnng yesterday. Stopped and searched all of the coiled springs. The gaps between each coil were too great for a wire coil load. Compressed they were fine but no way to hold the compression permenantly

I will check them out again. I am recovering from a low blood glucose event from this afternoon which means this diabetic let his blood sugars get too low at 59. 5 hours later feeling bettter but eyes hurt a bit

Idid go to the local hardware store for a Eye hook to hang somethinnng yesterday. Stopped and searched all of the coiled springs. The gaps between each coil were too great for a wire coil load. Compressed they were fine but no way to hold the compression permenantly
Personally, I think springs would look like just that--springs, and not coiled wire. But that might just be me.

Re the springs tho: I think what you want are stretch springs which are coiled tightly when at rest, rather than compression springs.

like those^. The latter shows a 1"dia coil, and a 1.25" length at rest. You CAN also deform them a bit too, so they appear a bit less uniform when coiled. The photos themselves show some of that.
You might also want to see if there are other diameters and/or lengths available. Try the manufacturers store, perhaps (link typically somewhere in the item description, at least at Amazon). As to the colors, maybe some sort of light acid dip could remove the tints. Perhaps even something as mild as vinegar.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you've seen any of these and what they are like. I looked around the web and Youtube and nothing over here that anyone makes or tempted to make these coils. All I get is the sheet coils no wire coils.
A lot of them are new products, so unlikely there's much to be found about them yet. The fact they're out of stock on the older products suggests they produce pretty good items. I did find this YouTube video about them from a buyer you might find useful. It's not specific to the coils, as they're new items, but does give a general idea of the quality of work they do.

Has anybody made their own? Do you have pictures?
A sample I made with tag wire. The same stuff I use for the rerod.
IMG_6212.jpg
IMG_6213.jpg

One other possibility :

Model ship supply houses for wire, and model ship forums for forming & handling know-how. Modern combatant modelers model steel guy wires, antennas, etc., and use steel/brass wire. Maybe Model Shipways, Blue Jacket Shipcrafters, to start.

Some high-end wooden ship modelers who work in small-ish scales (bigger than a ship in a bottle, but smaller than Revell kits) use steel wire for small rigging - winding solid wire into braided rope with a “rope walk” - because fiber- constructed rope in small scales doesn’t yield a “rope-like” look.

Back