Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

Be sure to stay warm and safe if you are living in the sub zero temps of the midwest.
10847508_1017532514943238_2376191990194364873_o.jpg

I will usually mock up a scene before the actual scenery is complete. I use these photographs to finish my scenes and to get a 'feel' for the end result. Such is the case with this, as the roadway and surrounding ground covers remain unfinished. Modelers may recognize that the No.34 wagon at left center, is a Preiser model repainted with Sparks lettering and pneumatic tires.

3.JPG

I will usually mock up a scene before the actual scenery is complete. I use these photographs to finish my scenes and to get a 'feel' for the end result. Such is the case with this, as the roadway and surrounding ground covers remain unfinished. Modelers may recognize that the No.34 wagon at left center, is a Preiser model repainted with Sparks lettering and pneumatic tires.

View attachment 33863
That repaint is the HW Triple Arch Wagon, yes? Preiser # 22153, formally red.

Last edited:
Up next in the GCT series was the Office Wagon, #933-1371. Red resin two piece casting again where you had to attach the roof to the body. The same decal set as the hippo, ticket and commissary wagons. Very similar to the ticket wagon, count the windows and doors to discern the difference.
IMG_5863.JPGIMG_5866.JPGIMG_5867.JPG

Back to HO scale. I purchased a large collection of HO circus models built by a man named Watson, in the collection were about a dozen scratch built stock cars, 30 flats and 15 coaches. I have begun to upgrade the cars by completing the end bracings and handrails and re-lettering the cars for Trapino Bros. Circus. These are the only orange cars in the Trapino collection. (The 'T' pins are there because the track was still drying and they hold the track in place)
4.JPG

And speaking of stock cars, here are 2 very recognizable specimens. The #44 James E. Strates elephant car and the #49 Hagenbeck Wallace horse car. These were also part of the Walther's Great Circus Train release from years ago.
19.JPG

After confering with the rr crew, a circus worker gets back in the Mack to carry on with switching the yards. The Mack truck is a Jordan Models kit.
32.JPG

Pooch, made in Italy produced these cheap P.T. Barnum Advertising Cars years ago, and being that I had 3 of them I decided to make a 3 car set with numbered cars and different colored roofs. Perhaps you have one of these in your collection??
68.JPG

I also carve my own rockwork from extruded styrofoam. Here is a good view of what I can achieve with a couple of knives and some acrylic paints.
73.JPG

Every little detail you can add ups the game of your model. This scene needs a bar across the doorway and the horse needs to be trimmed and re painted. You find these things out when taking macro pictures that expose all....lol
DSCN0621.JPG

Back to HO scale. I purchased a large collection of HO circus models built by a man named Watson, in the collection were about a dozen scratch built stock cars, 30 flats and 15 coaches. I have begun to upgrade the cars by completing the end bracings and handrails and re-lettering the cars for Trapino Bros. Circus. These are the only orange cars in the Trapino collection. (The 'T' pins are there because the track was still drying and they hold the track in place)
View attachment 33904
I really enjoy it when I buy a collection. Sometimes opening those packages and finding the quality of the work is so good it is better than Christmas.
The Trapino #14 looks great Johnny. I can't wait to see it with all your details added!

Last edited:

Back