Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

Intresting this was brought up. Ive been searching tonight for a website that was selling carnival/circus concession stands and a link to your other thread from 2010 came up in the search. But I see a new fresh thread on this has been done. I love threads like this.

By the way, anyone know who makes these concessions stands like this? They used to be all over ebay in several varieties for around 24 bucks. But now I cant find the people whom made it or the dealer that sells it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221006701727?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Intresting this was brought up. Ive been searching tonight for a website that was selling carnival/circus concession stands and a link to your other thread from 2010 came up in the search. But I see a new fresh thread on this has been done. I love threads like this.

By the way, anyone know who makes these concessions stands like this? They used to be all over ebay in several varieties for around 24 bucks. But now I cant find the people whom made it or the dealer that sells it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221006701727?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Welcome to the thread Chris. Something different.

Those joints are really cool. Now for those of you who thought Johnny was talking about .....something else, a 'joint' is a term used for some sort of concession, game or food stand on the midway. Very often when food was involved , it was a grease joint. I never had any of them but did see them all the time on the bay. The guy made a number of different ones. His feedback was very good, so customers must have liked 'em. I also searched and came up with a couple other types but not the ones from that seller either.

Say Hello to a lil' history..

1162.jpg

credit to original photographer.

Figured I should prove these 'winterquarter' thingys really existed.
While some shows in the spirit of never ending publicity opted
to say it, others blended into the landscape, to avoid the curious.
Here is the Barnum and Bailey (pre-Ringling) quarters in
Connecticut. After they combined the Ringlings moved to this
location from Baraboo, WI..

1159.jpg

Another view.
1010.jpg

The Ringlings were publicity Geniuses, using every opportunity
to promote what they had and line their pockets quite well at
the same time. That just didn't sound right so, on a side note,
I must say that the Ringling show was referred to by others
as the 'Sunday School' show. This was due to the fact that if
the show caught employees cheating the public in any way
they would be run off the property and lose their jobs.

The Ringling compound in Florida had an extensive rail shop
and yard. Not to forget, this property was the home to a
train that traveled on one hundred railroad cars, in four sections.

1173.jpg

1188.jpg

Here is a diagram of the rail yard during the glory years.

1166.jpg

And here is a picture of the Hagenbeck Wallace quarters
in Peru, Indiana. Of note; this became the home of the
American Circus Corporation under the control of one of
those Ringling boys, John. Also, this where the world
famous clown Emmit Kelly and Emmit Kelly Jr. hailed from.
Prior to circus stardom, they had both worked for the
Chesapeake and Ohio railroad. This is now on the National
Historic Places register. A museum and shows are now
operating on the property. Only a couple of original
buildings survive.

1158.jpg

1168.jpg

1169.jpg

Alright, now back to the thread.

I've had some other projects to tend to so I'll tell you where I'm at and post pics in the next day or 2.

The diorama is stripped save for the tracks. Everything is now pink foam. I have to solder a couple of feeder wires and it will get a base coat of paint. Then I'll airbrush the ties and rails. My wife picked out a great fabric that she is sewing to be placed around as a skirt for the benchwork. Pics to follow.

Always enjoy your threads Johnny! Another one subscribed to.

I'm trying to figure how I'm going to deal with my Great Circus Train, I was thinking about modeling the first time it ran, what about 1965? Do you have some insight for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Always enjoy your threads Johnny! Another one subscribed to.

I'm trying to figure how I'm going to deal with my Great Circus Train, I was thinking about modeling the first time it ran, what about 1965? Do you have some insight for me?

Hi Joe,

Glad you found the thread and thanks for the subscription.

1965 was indeed the first year the train ran. If I'm correct, the Walthers Great Circus Train is designed to represent the train in about 1967. But there wasn't really anything different except for a few more flat cars that were added after they were shopped in Baraboo. It was later (post '73) the 2 baggage cars were added to the train. These were fitted with three open oval-shaped windows that spanned the length of the cars. These were ex Milwaukee cars. And there were no private varnish cars before 1973. Just museum cars.

In 1965 a few wagons had either not been restored or weren't acquired yet. So you can fill a flat with a couple 40' semi-trailers. The Athearn BB pup type trailers work well. Picture from that year are to find other than a few publications. A book by Chappie Fox, entitled "America's Great Circus Parade" is about the best in available shots of the early trains. I have seen some on ebay though.

As for power that year, it was CB&Q 4960 a mikado. I can still hear her softly slumbering outside my bedroom window, which faced the CNW yard when I was a boy. She was a beauty. Later donated to the CWM but eventually found her way to the Grand Canyon RR. In the first two years for the train, it was this locomotive.

The train also saw Southern's 4501 and Dick Jensen's ex GTW pacific which was the engine Walther's used for the set when the train was issued in the 1980's. The set for those who don't know, was first issued by subscription.

In later years CNW R-1 1385 and Soo Line 1003 another mikado held court but were always in the company of diesel helpers.

1965 was indeed the first year the train ran. If I'm correct, the Walthers Great Circus Train is designed to represent the train in about 1967. But there wasn't really anything different except for a few more flat cars that were added after they were shopped in Baraboo. It was later (post '73) the 2 baggage cars were added to the train. These were fitted with three open oval-shaped windows that spanned the length of the cars. These were ex Milwaukee cars. And there were no private varnish cars before 1973. Just museum cars.

I have the complete train from Walthers, so I can wait and model it in '67. Do you know of a place I can find the pix or video of the '67 run?

In 1965 a few wagons had either not been restored or weren't acquired yet. So you can fill a flat with a couple 40' semi-trailers. The Athearn BB pup type trailers work well. Picture from that year are to find other than a few publications. A book by Chappie Fox, entitled "America's Great Circus Parade" is about the best in available shots of the early trains. I have seen some on ebay though..

I had that book, it got water damaged and the pages are all stuck together, I need to get another.

As for power that year, it was CB&Q 4960 a mikado. I can still hear her softly slumbering outside my bedroom window, which faced the CNW yard when I was a boy. She was a beauty. Later donated to the CWM but eventually found her way to the Grand Canyon RR. In the first two years for the train, it was this locomotive.

The train also saw Southern's 4501 and Dick Jensen's ex GTW pacific which was the engine Walther's used for the set when the train was issued in the 1980's. The set for those who don't know, was first issued by subscription.

I have the subscription power from Walthers, so that's how I'd like to run it.

I have the complete train from Walthers, so I can wait and model it in '67. Do you know of a place I can find the pix or video of the '67 run?

To date I have not seen the complete train for that year. I would assume you could contact the museum library in Baraboo for an accurate consist and loading list.

I had that book, it got water damaged and the pages are all stuck together, I need to get another.

It's a very good book with some great pictures.

I have the subscription power from Walthers, so that's how I'd like to run it.

Yeh, it's the one where the Schlitz emblem is on one side and the Old Milwaukee Special is on the other I think?

Diorama Update;

Everything is off and was pink foam.

13.jpg

First I'm painting the ground area a mud color.

14.jpg

I'm soldering feeders to some interior tracks for better conductivity. This is a DCC diorama using Digitraxx.

I use 't' pins for holding the feeders in place;

20.jpg

21.jpg

The foam I use is 2" thick and so I use this method to thread them from the top to the bottom after using a nail to create a hole.

19.jpg

OK, so there is an update on the diorama. The next couple of days is going to be spent working on the grandsons around the ceiling O scale setup for their bedroom. I'll post new pics in a day or two. Thanks for viewing.

Lookin good Johnny! The map of the Ringling Winter Quarters a few posts up, is that the same location where they shot the beginning of The Greatest Show On Earth?

Lookin good Johnny! The map of the Ringling Winter Quarters a few posts up, is that the same location where they shot the beginning of The Greatest Show On Earth?

Yes Eric, it is. A lot of the sequences were shot at this location. Somewhere on another circus blog, I believe the Buckles blog, it listed where all the shots were done. The film does a good job of covering the show in it's heyday.

images.jpg

This was the main entrance. One of the early scenes was filmed here.

1171.jpg

5118021267_5cea6fd7ee_o.jpg

And here is a view from the opposite side with rail yards on left side just above center.

1170.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone else have a sudden craving for popcorn? :D

Commin' right up, Rico!

3.jpg

Perhaps an Ice Cold Coke sir?

images-2.jpg

All photos from public file on internet.

And don't forget all of your favorites are available in the lobby too....

4.jpg

...or on the midway !

5.jpg

One great photo Johnny!

Thanks Tim. I do miss the old MadCoW. Others have expressed how they too enjoy this photo. I wonder if many really notice the CNW tunnel motor, fantasy engine. CNW FP-45B, fantasy. Loved 'em myself. Sold on Ebay to a guy in Germany.

Everything circus

That's what I should have named this thread. It's headed that way and I must say it's rather fun sharing and having others share as well. Thanks for participating.

A while back, joe circus and I were discussing the 1967 train (page 5, post #46).

I searched the net and came up with these photos. Appears to be limited public photos of these years. The Walthers engine you have could be used for 1967-1969, the two years it handled the train.
These photos were gathered from a search and credit shopuld be to original photographer.

3-1.jpg

And here is your Walthers engine, Old Milwaukee side.

4-1.jpg

On a sad note, While making qualifying trips on the 'Belt' and IHB in Chicago, I had the chance to view this engine in the yards near Blue Island. I saw her right before she ended up like this.

1-1.jpg

I, of course, prefer to go back to the night she blew through the backyard at track speed at one in the morning on her way to Baraboo.....sigh.

I have that Walthers Great Circus Train locomotive. It was actually a Sunset brass import, imported for Walthers to complete the circus train series.

What the heck happened to it in that last photo. Ouch, Boiler explosion?

What the heck happened to it in that last photo. Ouch, Boiler explosion?

No. Much sadder event took place. As I mentioned, the loco was stored near Blue Island on old Rock Island track. So Metra comes along and acquires that trackage and wants the loco removed. They(Metra) seek and obtain an order of eviction including on the spot scrapping. In July of 1987, the 5629 was scrapped.

If you want, here is a link giving some backround behind what took place with GTW 5629.....http://www.steamlocomotive.com/union/jensen.shtml

Here is what she looked like when parked in the spot she was scrapped. Take note of the full bunker of coal in the tender, filled for a fan trip that never happened...

gtw5629-late.jpg

And during....

gtw5629-destroyed8-87.jpg

both photos credit to original photographer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Railroads and show owners were often at odds. Seems because the rail equipment used by the show was usually owned by them as well, often the equipment would be in a less-than-favorable condition than the railroads required. But somehow, they always seem to make the relationship work. And as far as a show owners and management were concerned, it was important enough to them that they made a point of advertising the fact they were indeed, a railroad show!

I offer as exhibits;

5-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

Even used exaggerated graphics.

6.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

And of course, who could forget those Baraboo boys?

1-2.jpg

all images credit to original posters.

On with the show.

Time for an update:

Winterquarters is moving ahead. Although during the lapse in work, things are once again re-arranged. I've been painting some items and won't bore you with the details, just painting.

My wife, is being very supportive and has created the curtains for the display. She is in the process of framing the TV for it, hence my painters tape being used for positioning.

007-1.jpg

The base has been painted as well as the track. Now the fun can begin. Layering, detailing and otherwise getting it ready for the intended use, photographing the models.

14-1.jpg

The most notable change takes place at the entrance to the shops. I found 2 pretty tore up old engine sheds at an auction and have combined them to make a repair shop with two bays. The doors on the street end will be modeled to be permanently closed but with windows for the curious public.

It is in it's primer coat as well as the shop office, the smaller building sitting sideways.

008-1.jpg

003.jpg

010-1.jpg

009.jpg

Now I'm off to buy ballast. Good day.

Back