Winter all the time

pcarrell

Just a guy
I like winter. I know some of you don't, but I do.

Since that is the case, I'm thinking of doing a perminant winter season for my latest layout, but I've not done one before. Since I model Maine, this shouldn't be too big of a stretch of the imagination at all.

Any tips from those of you who've done it? I know to stay away from baking soda, but what other things can you pass along from your experience?

Phillip!

Welcome to the light side.

No one here ever gets a kettle brewing like they do over there. Just fun and frieinds.

Never did snow, although Woodland Scenics makes a shake-out fuzzy for it.

Hey Chip! What up?

Yeah, I saw their stuff and it looks pretty good.

I'm wondering a bit about how snow will hold up over the long haul too. Will it stay pretty white? I've got my layout going into a dedicated, climate controlled train room (spare bedroom), so dirt and dust should be at a minimum.

So, anyone able to shed light on any of this?

Hey Chip! What up?

Yeah, I saw their stuff and it looks pretty good.

I'm wondering a bit about how snow will hold up over the long haul too. Will it stay pretty white? I've got my layout going into a dedicated, climate controlled train room (spare bedroom), so dirt and dust should be at a minimum.

So, anyone able to shed light on any of this?

I've got an airbrush that says it will. :)

IIIII' m dreaming of a......my be next year

Phillip: You're brave to take the challenge of making a winter layout. I like winter a lot too.
About the fact that it will stay ..... forever, I am not shure because dust comes/goes/kreeps every where!! So the hint of Spacemouse is a good one .
I did not make a layout with winter as item but I've seen many of them on exibitions/mrr events. Most of all they made the snow with plaster of paris for snow that has to look like 10 inches thick and 2 or 3 layers of latexwallpaint( of course WHITE) for snow less than 1 inch.
Most of the problems to model snow, I think, you have to solve by yourself, but that is just the fun of it,
I could look up some tips and tricks from how to do/make.. but you'r still in the "thinking phase" so just let me know if it is time for it...

Jos

ps I add a pic. it is in HO scale so not N

pcarrell - I use WS snow and found it met all my needs. Of these needs, clean-up was the most important followed by visual reality. All snow gets dirty after a time and I wanted something I could easily clean up and change out. WS snow vacs up very well and is easily replaced. If you're looking for a real snow storm, this stuff, plows, shovels, piles and almost anything else you think the real stuff does. I'm not into 'big storms' as it tends to hide a lot of the detail of the layout buuuutttt, it also hides so places and things you might want to hide! I don't use the 'springler' cap of the jar. Rather, I find I have better control just spreading it with a small spoon.

Hope this helps. Like to see some pics when you're done.

Dick

TTEnd1.jpg

I was looking into doing a winter layout but decided against it, the groundcover would be easy though, especially if you went for heavy snowfall

Snow scenes look great . I use to use a spray snow out of a can . you can control how much and where you want it to go !

Back